Dell EMC XtremIO Review

Compression, deduplication, and snapshots are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has seen our customers' performance increase substantially for their database and VDI applications using this product.

What is most valuable?

Compression and deduplication are valuable because they help reduce the storage footprint required for our customer’s environments.

Snapshots are valuable because of their seamless nature, as well as the minimal space each snapshot takes.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is still Java based, and this needs to be fixed. It needs a way to determine the deduplication of each LUN and what the impact would be if we were to move data from one LUN to another.

There have been some stability issues with the code that have been corrected in later versions.

We understand the way the platform can scale, so we scale within the parameters.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

Our customers switched from the older generation of VNX to XtremIO. It was ten times faster and deduplication/compression allowed for a much smaller footprint in the data center.

The initial setup can be complex if there is an issue during the setup. Otherwise, this is not too bad to install.

Pricing and licensing are in line with other products from other manufacturers. You get what you pay for.

At the time, we did not evaluate other alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

The flash market is saturated with vendors and their products. This product is an all-around solid player. However, make sure that deduplication is a major factor before purchasing. If snapshot and snapshot consolidation is key, then this is the product for you.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner with Dell/EMC.
More Dell EMC XtremIO reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Pure Storage, IBM and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.