Dell Encryption Enterprise Review

It has tiered administration and normal features of an encryption tool, but it is tough to manage and deploy and tedious to use for encryption

What is most valuable?

One place where I can give them top level is the tiered administration, whereby you can assign roles to the support team to say, "You would be responsible for changing passwords. You would be responsible for system management and configurations, and you are the major admin of this." They have that on lockdown. The active directory integration is also pretty okay. It is not so bad.

It does have normal features that most of the encryption tools have, such as full-disk encryption, volume encryption, and external drive encryption. I am not sure if they do file-level encryption and if DLP is integrated with the encryption product. I would like to assume that these features are there.

What needs improvement?

It is not working properly for us because of which we had to decrypt all our encryptions. I have not used it much, and based on what I have heard, it is very tough to manage. Managing this system is not as easy as it should be. The central management is awful, and the encryption process is tedious. There are too many issues with even recovering passwords. Its ease of deployment is awful.

Their support needs to be improved. It is just my fifth week working with this organization, and since I got here, it has been about, "Oh! We have these issues with Dell, and it is not working properly. It is so hard to work with, and please get on with the support team so we can get this resolved as soon as possible." To get the support on the phone is usually a big problem, and by the time they call you back and tell you it is going to take, for instance, about an hour, we end up spending like four hours, and we don't get anything done. The firm has finally decided that Dell is not going to be the way to go. We are now exploring other encryption products.

In terms of new features, it should have cloud tenancy encryption. Everything is moving to the cloud, and it would be cool if the next version of Dell encryption can offer that. Based on my research, it seems that a few solutions can do that right now, particularly the McAfee Complete Protection suites. It would be good if Dell can also move away from on-prem. The solution that we're working with is an on-prem solution. I don't know if it is available in the cloud, but it would be good if they can make it available in the cloud. This probably would also help with the cloud tenancy encryption.

Another feature that I would've loved them to have is for the passphrase self-recovery for a user. Such a feature would reduce some bit of burden on the help desk team. Currently, people forget their passphrase every single week, and they have to get to the help desk to reset their password. It would have been pretty cool if a passphrase self-recovery option was available for a user.

I started to use it very recently when I joined this organization. We are using its latest version.

It has not really been stable.

We have about 70 users of this solution. Almost everyone in the normal organization hierarchy, from the CEO down to the office assistant, uses this solution. We all are in different departments.

We also have some partners to whom we've given laptops, and we also encrypt their systems because we deal with a lot of PHI, and we want to be sure that all our systems are encrypted. If a laptop gets in the hands of an unauthorized person, we want to ensure that it is encrypted and unauthorized access will not be granted.

I'm not the one who interacted with them directly. One of my teammates has been interacting with them. To get the support on the phone is usually a big problem, and by the time they call you back and tell you it's going to take about an hour, for instance, we end up spending like four hours, and we don't get anything done.

Its ease of deployment is awful.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell Encryption Enterprise a seven out of ten. It is not totally bad. It is quite cumbersome to work with, and it is not as simple as it should be. Its backend is a lot to deal with.

More Dell Encryption Enterprise reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Microsoft, Sophos and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.