Dell EqualLogic PS series Review

Gives us the flexibility to put in a new shelf whenever we need to expand

What is our primary use case?

It is shared storage for VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

It was necessary to enable a lot of the advanced functions of VMware.

What is most valuable?

When we bought it, we were attracted by the flexibility of being able to put in a new shelf whenever we needed to, to expand.

What needs improvement?

They may already have a product, but I would be interested in either hybrid-flash or possibly an all-flash option.

More than five years.

Three of the four devices have been rock solid, and one of them had a string of issues that we eventually resolved. Overall, pretty good.

Scalability is pretty good.

Technical support has been good to us.

We used NetApp for a while, but we hated the interface. That is why we switched.

When selecting a vendor, at this point I am looking for someone who can talk technical stuff with me, not just throw a storage number at me and then expect me to figure everything out.

It was pretty straightforward. The first time around, we didn't completely understand how much space we were going to need for things like Snapshots and replication. So we didn't buy enough storage the first time.

Licensing is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution an eight out of 10. It's pretty straightforward most of the time, and tech support is there when it's not straightforward. I'm giving them a knock for having had that string of hardware problems.

The biggest hangup for us was knowing how much disk translates into how much actual space you have, when you're done doing the setup.