Dell PowerConnect Switches Review

Very solid and reliable at a reasonable cost

What is our primary use case?

We are a small operation and don't have a so-called data center. Our requirements are not complex and we really just need a firewall for downloading material. We use 48 port units. The switches have that capability and give us enough flexibility for when the time comes to really start segregating things. The product is used extensively but it doesn't require much maintenance. I'm an IT manager and we're Dell customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is its reliability. Dell products are generally quite reliable in terms of all the servers and the desktop.

What needs improvement?

I think accessibility and management could be improved. It would be helpful if it could be configured on a tablet or mobile.

It would be great if at some point they came up with some web-based GUI app that allows you to easily manage and configure your switches.

I've been using this product for six years.

Over the many years we've been using this solution, we've had maybe one of two issues, usually related to crashes in our network rather than problems with the solution. There haven't been any connectivity issues.

Scalability is not an issue in this product.

I don't think the initial setup is complex, we managed to do it ourselves without any problem. As long as all your cabling is properly numbered and you know where they lead on your patch panel, then you're okay.

There are no additional costs other than purchasing the solution which is quite reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of costs and reliability, they are okay. It might not be able to do more complex things so anyone looking to use the solution would need to figure out their requirements.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

5,000 series
More Dell PowerConnect Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerConnect Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.