Dell PowerConnect Switches Review

Flexible, efficient technology for streaming and has a simple interface

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Dell and I'm a systems administrator. Our primary use case for the product is connecting the main core, the data center, with core switches. We have six floors in the building and on each floor we have two switches we connected using stack technology with a fiber network in between.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features - the cost was the best we found with comparable products. The technology is good and the interface is simple. We haven't had any bugs, disconnections or delays. It's good because we use it for streaming videos and things like that. There were no issues during implementation and we haven't had any issues in the time we've been using the product.

What needs improvement?

A possible way the product could be improved would be to allow integration between other brands like HP or Cisco. It would be great if you could use the interface with more than one brand. Compatibility would be a good feature but it's unlikely to happen.

Stacking and fiber cords would be good additional features in the next release. Because of the stackings, you lose some boards and the two switches. If they made a core cable that would be better.

This is a new product for us and we've been using it for the last four, five months only. We're using the latest version.

We haven't needed to contact technical support.

In the previous project I used Sophos but it's for a different purpose with junior board switches. Now we're dealing with a security project so it's a different kind of project with different requirements.

The initial setup was very straightforward and easy. It's a good feature in Dell switches.

Deployment throughout the building, including core switches, data switches, connecting the wires and fiber cable took about 10 days. We had two people assisting us from the vendor company and three people from our company. Initial deployment is the responsibility of the vendor.

We evaluated numerous options before choosing Dell including Fortinet, HP and Cisco. But really it was this solution that worked given our budget and for installation, it was a good solution in terms of technical support, scalability, availability and a lot of things. It satisfied our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

More Dell PowerConnect Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerConnect Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.