Dell PowerEdge M Review

Good SAN and LAN traffic, manageability, and upgradability

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Dell EMC for a number of use cases in my organization. We have made a cluster system and we have it for the LAN and SAN traffic that passes through it.

So far, I haven't applied the LAN traffic and commerce solutions, but I have planned to integrate the solutions. I have not deployed the SAN traffic. I have a one-month plan to deploy the SAN traffic to pass through the LAN switch. This model only has converged solutions. We can do the cluster system so we have converged solutions.

This is the latest generation for Dell EMC Blade System. It has better facilities. I have used the M1000 series and compared to before, the current version is better.

What is most valuable?

I have compared Dell EMC to other solutions and have found it to be good. The SAN and LAN traffic, manageability, and upgradability are all good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it should also offer a hyper-converged option.

Stability is the same compared to the other systems.

The scalability depends on your needs.

I work in the IT division. Thirty people work under this infrastructure.

Two or three people are required for maintenance.

We use all of the blade systems. There are 32 blades. All of the blades run and provide a service. On the other side, there are also 32 blades that are no occupied. We are enrolling the service over there.

Technical support is really good. I needed to do an upgrade. The network engineer gave us the total possibility to upgrade. They're really good.

The initial setup is not very complex compared to other models. Other models are more complex. It is better than other systems. We are still in the process of migrating.

We are upgrading the legacy system to this system. This system is really good as far as the performance, compared to other legacy or older blade models. All of the blade traffic goes through this to a switch.

What other advice do I have?

For organizations that don't have a blade system, they should start with planning in terms of how to segregate their systems in terms of LAN and SAN systems.

My advice would be to consider that both SAN and LAN traffic are ensured to come together and not separate.

I would rate the Blade Servers a nine out of ten.

More Dell PowerEdge M reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE BladeSystem
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Super Micro and others in Blade Servers. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.