Dell PowerVault Review
Needs to allow for larger drive sizes but gives us us the ability to have longer term storage for our customers.

Valuable Features

Expandability is the most important feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

The MD3260 has given us the ability to have longer term storage for our customers and a reasonable price.

Room for Improvement

The MD3220i needs to allow for larger drive sizes.

Use of Solution

We have owned the MD3220i for about 2 years so far and we are new to the MD3260 only owning it for about 2 months.

The only issue during deployment is that Dell has different ways of installing different SANs. We would like to see more standardization when it comes to the full line of Dell storage products.

I would rate their customer service as a 10 out of 10.

I would rate their technical support as a 10 out of 10.

The initial setup of both devices we have was not complex but rather tricky considering they are installed and configured in different ways.

Implementation Team

We have implemented all of our SANs in house.

ROI

With the 3260i, we use it as disaster recovery storage for our customers. Previously with the powervault, we were paying approximately .81 cents per GB. With the 3260, we are down to .18 per GB in cost. This enables us to lower prices for our customers are still make more money.

Other Solutions Considered

Since we are Dell partners, we simply chose Dell as the vendor. The ease of working with them is what is most important and their technical support has been first class.

Other Advice

The PowerVault 3220i is a good unit, but my biggest concern with it is that the unit will only support up to 1TB sized hard drives. This makes the cost of unit higher when using it as added storage. The MD3260 is a great unit, inexpensive, hold tons of drives, its expandable, and the cost is low.

If I had advice to give, it would be based on all the Dell Storage devices. Make sure you evaluate each device thoroughly and understand exactly what you need it to do. Make sure you talk with a product specialist and let them understand your motives. Choosing the correct device for the job is most important.