Dell XC Appliance [EOL] Review

Simple to set up, priced well, built on top of VMware vSAN, and supports SSH VPN

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can assign a volume to an off-shore workload on the fly.

It is built on top of VMware vSAN and it is kernel-shared with vSphere. If you are familiar with vSphere then it will be very easy to manage.

With Dell, the most valuable features are the SSH VPN.

You don't have to have separate storage for two different protocols.

The management tool is a good tool that is built on vSan. It integrates well with the vCenter.

What needs improvement?

When I work with VxRail or vSan and I have a cluster, and if I wanted to allocate some of the volumes to workloads that are not in that cluster, whether it's a physical or virtual workload that is not in that cluster, it is not possible.

Looking at the competitors, such as Nutanix, they can carve out volumes from Nutanix clusters and allocate them the virtual workloads.

Currently, there is no support for the servers that are not in the cluster. If this were improved then it would be of great value.

I have been selling Dell for three years.

Dell Technical support is of value. I have worked with them for almost three years and I know why Dell Technical support is one of the best.

The initial setup is simplified. I wouldn't say that it is complex. It's very good and simple to deploy.

The pricing is good.

What other advice do I have?

I work for integrators, and my role is solution consulting. I secure customers and recommend technology solutions that are available in the market.

To other customers who are looking to implement Dell XC, it's a very good hyper-converged solution. Dell EMC is built on the VMware vSan platform.

It's a good package from Dell with robust public servers that are incorporated into the solution along with VxRail manager, which makes your life easier.

From a management perspective, it supports almost all of the workloads that you have. It's object storage so that it can serve both, all the protocols.

This product is good.