Devart dbForge Studio for SQL Server Review

A stable, scalable solution with excellent administration

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for transactional processing, our LTP, as well as other processing.

What is most valuable?

The administration is the solution's most valuable feature.

It's quite easy to install and use from a local machine or laptop, as well as on a server.

What needs improvement?

The lock files and login are two features we've had issues with. As far as I can see, there's no way to switch off the login in SQL Servers. If there could be a way to switch off the login, for transactions, or in operations, or tables, that'd be great.

I've been using the solution on and off for 20 years.

The solution is very stable. We rarely have any stability issues. There might be operating system issues, patching, etc., that need to happen occasionally. With the SQL server itself, however, we don't experience any stability issues.

The solution is very scalable. If you set up a very large database, billions of records, or so, if you have enough memory, enough disk space, it's quite easy to do. I haven't set it up in a cluster environment, myself. I have other clusters, but they are sort-of Malware normal. OLAP and LTP volumes perform quite well.

Right now, we have 30-40 users. We'll most likely add more users using RBI and KIP View, but for now, our user population is stable at around 30 or 40.

In terms of technical support, most of what I need to find, I find on Stack Overflow, and using Google searches, and MSD Documents. I've never really had to contact Microsoft for specific help, therefore I can't comment on any experience. In terms of general information, forums, and so forth - SQL-filler, Forti-websites, etc. - there's so much information out there that, from Google search, one typically gets all the information they need. General community information is excellent.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's quite easy to create databases, administrate databases, and set up a backup. It's quite easy to install and to manage.

Deployment can take up to three hours if you are installing the full SQL server. Setting up just the database is a couple of minutes. I haven't set up a full backup, or any of that myself. I've set up backups to local disks, however, and that's quite easy to do.

Setting up jobs, or maintenance jobs that are running statistics on variables, shrinking, translating locked files, etc., only take a few minutes to set up. A full configuration would take two hours maximum.

We handle most of the implementation ourselves.

I've worked with Oracle, and with DB2, as well as with SAP IQ.

I've also worked with Mongo, although it's not quite the same.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice I would give to others, I would say that if they want to evaluate it, they should install a SQL Server Express. Install that as a management studio to get a feel for how it works, and then from there decide if it's suitable, in terms of a full license installation.

You can get up and running with it, and play around with it quite easily. Once you install SQL Server Express, you can get a good feel for how the full SQL Server would be set up and maintained, and how it works.

If you're going to do a large database setup, make sure you do a bit of planning before you begin.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.