Devolutions Remote Desktop Manager Review
One credential can be used to access VPN, RDS, and more

What is our primary use case?

My company is a consulting practice that connects to client systems using various methods. So, we need credentials, VPN connections, and also operational instructions. RDM provides a single repository for all this and so much more.  You can include PowerShell scripts to accomplish tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to store information in our CRM system, but it did not allow linking connections with credentials with VPNs. Now, when a consultant wants to connect to a client server:

1. They launch the connection
  2. It checks for connectivity
  3. Opens the VPN
  4. Then connects.

All without the consultant needing to look up information, or even if we wanted to restrict it, to have access to the credentials used.

What is most valuable?

One credential can be used to access VPN, RDS, and more, but instead of looking that up in one system, typing it into a field/box/login, and maybe getting it wrong. it is just automatically fills it in and is done so correctly.  Organizing credentials, connections, and contents by clients makes it so simple for someone to provide support.

What needs improvement?

One issue, as mentioned, we connect to lots of client VPNs. The RDM client (.NET issue, actually) can stall or lock up while it clears communication threads to the server. If you launch and select "off-line" mode when starting, this is not an issue. Again, more a .NET problem, but it is the one I hear most from my users.

More than five years.

Sometime the underlying OS (Widows) introduces issues that need to be addressed and support sometimes needs a bit of time to respond with an updated release.

Very scalable to large groups or teams of users.  Recently introduced multiple repository option so you can break credential storage into more manageable units.

Responsive.

Was using ASG Remote Desktop but they changed their licensing model to be a subscription with much higher prices and if you stopped paying product stopped working.

Straightforward but I had been using the product as a single user before so it was more about adapting it to the company.

In house

Not measured.

You can run a full featured trial of the products with support to make sure it will fit you needs.

Microsoft RD Man, Keepass, and TeamViewer

What other advice do I have?

Try it and you will be impressed.

1 visitor found this review helpful