Digital Guardian Endpoint Detection and Response Service Review

Great detection and response with very good compliance reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the managed detection and response capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution protects your data classification very well. It does data discovery. It also does detection and response. It's pretty awesome.

If you do the managed detection and response, it's beneficial due to the fact that they're the ones that are going to be doing the work for you. They're the ones that are going to end up servicing your organization. They focus on threat hunting, and threat detection as well as the compliance of it. All the tools are managed.

They have the compliance reporting. They have the incident response detection where it remotely tells you, "Hey, there's an issue here." It will catch stuff and then it will send you notifications.

The loss prevention is excellent. They have very high rates in terms of catching people stealing information. If you have a person signing into their Hotmail account and inserting a spreadsheet in there from the finance department, they will catch it. It will immediately notify the manager about the sensitive information being stolen.

It's a very new solution. It's cleaner in its look and feel than other solutions.

The deployment's so much easier than other options.

You have visibility across your protection line. There is very good data visibility and data classification, and, on top of that, you have all the bells and whistles.

What needs improvement?

The solution hasn't changed much. I've got friends that work with the company. Nothing has changed as far as just little updates due to Chrome changes. Nothing has changed when it comes to their toolsets. Chrome keeps on changing, and so they have to update.

They lose when it comes to Forcepoint and they lose when it comes to Symantec due to the fact that they can drop their margins by 45%. Typically the competition will undercut them and they'll lose on price as they are quite expensive.

I've been using the solution for a while. I've used it over the last 12 months for sure.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It just works in the background and you don't feel it on your device.

The solution has definitely is improved over Office 365 and any other third-party tools. You have to set up the policies for your profile into the console, in the SaaS. You set up your rules and you're off and running.

There was a couple of guys in the team that were on top of it when it came to the tech support. They only hire the best threat hunters and they understand the business very well. I'm not saying that because I used to work for them. I'm saying that due to the fact that I saw it first hand.

The way they provide scalability and customer service is very professional. When you're dealing with a Symantec, you're dealing with a McAfee, you're dealing with people remotely. You're calling into Singapore. You're calling into Thailand. One thing I remembered is that a lot of people in the United States, especially enterprise companies, don't want to deal with someone from India. They want someone in their time zone or close at hand.

Digital Guardian is based in Boston. They have techs in Florida. They are state-side, and enterprise users that are American appreciate that.

I also have experience with Symantec and Forcepoint.

For example, this solution collects data of user usage and it captures screenshots that these other guys don't have. The only company that does this, as far as I know, is Raytheon. However, even that information was from five years ago.

I've used Symantec. It's very complex. It's very slow. If you're using Symantec across the board as SaaS, you have to download scans. You have to do overnight scans on the network, the network DLP, remotely from Europe. That will take you days to do that. Now, when you get a Digital Guardian bundled with a Zscaler infrastructure network, like an actual architecture behind all that together, it's going to take less than a few hours.

The initial setup is very, very straightforward. It's easy. It is not complex at all.

Agents are installed on the desktop in under three seconds. The deployment is very quick.

If I recall, it's just a subscription license. When you buy Digital Guardian, the starting price is around $300,000. It's out of the box. You have all these features, including data security, IP protection, and EDR protection. All that stuff is all under one platform.

What other advice do I have?

The MDR will be like the network's VOP. They're actually removing themselves away from that as it's an on-premise solution. It's a box. They were trying not to sell that anymore, and they were pushing people on their platform via the cloud, which is faster as they have a SaaS deployment.

The solution is likely one of the best in the industry. It offers a very valuable bang for your buck. Symantec and Forcepoint just don't offer the kind of features that are on offer here. It's excellent at protecting even the most sensitive information - like social insurance numbers, etc. Digital Guardian has an EDR built-in. Therefore, instead of buying a DLP and then buying an EDR solution with Symantec and a subscription license, it's all bundled up in Digital Guardian.

If you want the best technology - including digital analytics and AI - and you want it all built-in, you want to use this solution. Companies like Symantec and Forcepoint just can't offer that.

Overall, I would rate them at a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Digital Guardian, Comodo, Capgemini and others in Managed Detection and Response (MDR). Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.