Digital Guardian Review

Its cloud correlation servers give you visibility

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company who is an integrator of the Digital Guardian product. We are selling the solution and installing the solution on all our customers' sites. We have several projects where Digital Guardian is deployed as a DLP solution mostly.

How has it helped my organization?

Digital Guardian can be also used as device control, application whitelisting, EDR, and user behavior analysis. There are a lot of good features in Digital Guardian.

What is most valuable?

Digital Guardian has cloud correlation servers which give you visibility. Works like EDR and the correlation servers are like a perfect instrument for security analysts.

The agent is a powerful thing because it is powered on the kernel site. You can control applications and data flow.

You can use it with EDR solutions.

What needs improvement?

The room for improvement with Digital Guardian is that it will be better with the Linux agent because it is the only DLP solution for Linux workstations. It still needs to upgrade the agents to the latest version for the Linux kernel.

The vendor promised that in April they will have the universal agent for all operating systems, for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. We are waiting for this new universal agent. I think Digital Guardian needs to improve the universal agent. That would be really great.

It would be good if Digital Guardian would have dictionaries from other languages inside of the solution, e.g., a Ukrainian language dictionary.

I have using this solution for about three years.

Digital Guardian has great stability. They are working on the solution and have updates coming up pretty fast where they are adding new features on the agent.

From our projects with our customers, it has pretty good stability.

Digital Guardian has great scalability. In one of our projects at the moment, there are 2500 users but they plan to implement about 15,000 users.

In other projects that we manage, there are about 1000 users using Digital Guardian. Also, we got some new projects in last year where it was supporting around 2000 users.

Our biggest customer is a Japanese fabric maker who has 100,000 endpoints.

The customer service with Digital Guardian is good because they answer fast. The Help Desk is also really good. We had some issues with one project. They solved it the same day, Digital Guardian connected via Webex and resolved all the issues on that project.

They support all languages.

It's pretty easy to install and implement the solution. Put it on our universal server and the solution is already working out-of-the-box.

Other DLP solutions are not quite so easy to install or to implement as Digital Guardian.

On all EOP solutions from the customer's side, it's hard to understand what data they want to protect.

It is really easy for us to deploy this solution.

Pricing and licensing I know mostly for the old versions of Digital Guardian. Now mostly DLP and other security solutions have subscription licensing.

Digital Guardian has both, subscription and perpetual licenses, but I think when everything (all technologies) will go to the cloud they will only offer subscriptions.

The vendors need to pay to cloud services like Amazon. They will need more money for that because Digital Guardian has the subscription linked to the cloud service.

If I compare Digital Guardian with Symantec, the license cost is lower, but McAfee can be cheaper than Digital Guardian. It depends on how many licenses you plan to buy and how big the project is. The cost is not so high as Symantec, but not as cheap as McAfee. They can easily sell the solution for price.

It is not the cheapest EOP solution. It's in the middle of the prices.

I tested previous options. I was working with McAfee DLP, but when compared to Digital Guardian, McAfee is old, i.e. not a next-generation DLP solution.

What other advice do I have?

If somebody wants to implement a DLP solution, they need to understand which data they need to protect and how they would want to classify this data.

After that, make the choice in which DLP solution you want. I would rate Digital Guardian with a nine out of 10 because there is no solution that will be fully perfect.