Docmosis Review

Logic to manipulate and display data is limited, but template creation is akin to UI front-end design

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that has a web app solution for tracking and managing leases - primarily equipment and hardware leases. Reporting is a major part of the lease tracking and data management offered by our system, and PDF documents that we generate using Docmosis are used on a daily basis by the clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Since our initial development, this feature has required very little maintenance. And when changes are requested, it is rather easy to change a Word document template and new staff can be quickly trained to modify a report.

A new report’s template creation is very often manipulation of a user’s layout of a report. A report can be ready in a day or less, once stored procedures are created as per sections in the report.

What is most valuable?

Compared to the original report-generating software, creation of templates in Docmosis - which can be as simple as a Word document - is the biggest plus for Docmosis. There is flexibility in laying out tables that is akin to UI front-end design.

The PDF output option offered by Docmosis is attractive to our clients since data cannot then readily be changed and manipulated.

What needs improvement?

The challenge in usage when we developed the reports four years ago was the limited logic that can be applied to manipulate and display data. That functionality was largely transferred over to the database layer in creating the data output that was to be displayed.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

Development involves creating a template from user document requirements. In fact, the template in most cases can be a clone of the user document, with logic added for recursive or conditional data. We have been using a Word template for this purpose.

An XML template sheet maps the database output to the data placeholders in the Word template document. We have been using Oracle PL/SQL queries to retrieve formatted data for various sections of the templates.