DocuShare Review

The command line utilities allow bulk manipulation of documents.

What is most valuable?

The full-text indexing and search of PDF documents. The command line utilities allow bulk manipulation of documents; that is, if any reorganization is needed.

For one implementation, the full-text indexing of PDF documents and associated search were the most valuable features. It allowed the department to search with sufficient accuracy that there was no need to add metadata during the upload/content intake process. This greatly reduced the document preparation and scanning time.

DocuShare has a set of command line utilities that allow you to manipulate documents in batches. For example, it allows you to move all documents with a keyword in the title to a new folder. Due to these command line tools, the project didn't require API licensing nor did it require any additional support from the Xerox professional service; thus, it saved time and money.

How has it helped my organization?

For the project described above it eliminated 300 banker boxes of documents, i.e., about 1.5 million pages.

Five years.

Above industry average.

Above industry average. The responses were prompt and very polite.

A online cloud service from another supplier. The cost benefit ratio no longer warranted the cloud service subscription and scanning service. I should mention this was five years ago. SaaS providers have evolved and this project is currently under review as a candidate for the Xerox DocuShare Private Cloud Service.

The initial setup was moderate. If your in house IT staff will implement it I recommend the Xerox DocuShare training program. However, if using content intake or advanced features, it may be worth hiring the Xerox professional services for the initial implementation.

Xerox professional service integrated with IT staff to divide work loads, it was a team effort. I have been on the selection and implementation teams of many many enterprise systems that hired professional services from vendors. I can say Xerox is very concerned that feel you receive a good value from your investment in their professional services.

Initial estimates were two years. However, once the first project was complete other business units wanted to on-board so the ROI was less then a year.

Pricing is reasonable and flexible. The annual maintenance is a bit above the average for enterprise business software.

We evaluated IBM products.

What other advice do I have?

With any document management system; you have to determine how documents should be organized and not how they are currently organized. After creating a backlog and project plan, take a week off, then regroup with sponsors and your team to take a fresh perspective. Think about how metadata will be used long-termand canvas information sharing needs between departments or business units. A agile method can work on new projects but for migrations from existing systems incorporating a waterfall approach for data with a long life span may help reduce risk of bulk reorganization of documents down the road.