Dome9 Review

Continues to be a major piece of our cloud security architecture

What is our primary use case?

We use Dome9 to control our AWS security groups, evaluate and map security group traffic, and conduct compliance checks of our cloud environment regularly.

How has it helped my organization?

Dome9 continues to be a major piece of our cloud security architecture and has given our senior leadership team a high degree of confidence in our ability to protect our cloud environment. We have more visibility than ever before, appreciating the valuable and proactive insight that we receive from the platform.

What is most valuable?

Clarity and Compliance have become two of our favorite features. Clarity allows us to visually depict our security groups and effective policy for both our current environment and can do predictive visualization based on cloud formation templates. The Compliance engine has helped put our auditors and senior executives at ease, as we can quickly and accurately measure ourselves against hundreds of compliance checks to include CIS benchmarks, PCI, and other best practices.

What needs improvement?

Dome9 continues to enrich its features at a blazingly fast pace. I would like to see tighter integration with other compliance tools, like Chef Compliance, in addition to Inspector. Also, I would love to add more richness to the Splunk add-on for Dome9.

None, it has been a solid performer for us, and well within the SLA.

We have yet to encounter any issues with scalability.

We have not needed it much, but when we have, they have been very responsive and they truly are helpful.

Initial setup was super easy. We were integrated in 15 minutes, then it was just another hour or so of tuning and kicking the tires.

They support either annual licensing or hourly. At the time of our last negotiation, it was either one or the other, you could not mix or match. I would have liked to mix/match.

We evaluated native AWS features and a competitor, Evident.io, but found that Dome9 was able to do all of what we needed in one tool instead of two.

What other advice do I have?

Start with read-only and move to full-control slowly. When you go to full control, there will need to be good communications with your AWS teams, so they know it is there. Do not do full-control on your lab environment.

They are a great partner to work with. Not only is the product solid, but we have loved having a good relationship with their leadership and seeing our feedback manifest into real product updates and features!