Domo Review
It's particularly suitable for larger scale roll-outs but it lacks the ability to display multiple charts simultaneously.

Valuable Features

On reflection, one of Domo’s strongest qualities was that the end result was extremely accessible to non-computer-literate users. It’s therefore particularly suitable for larger scale roll-outs across companies where the skill level of the end users is very varied.

Improvements to My Organization

No – It was implemented at the behest of the CEO who left the company during the implementation and there was little interest in BI in any form elsewhere in the company.

Room for Improvement

This is a difficult question to answer because the biggest shortfall for me was data management, but that would probably not be an issue for many people. I used a mix of on-premise data sourced mainly from SQL Server, with some from Excel; and cloud based data from SalesForce and NetSuite. The biggest issue I had with Domo was that I could not effectively combine data from different sources into a single dashboard. Ultimately I got round the problem by acquiring linked servers for both SalesForce and NetSuite so I simply sucked in the data I needed from both into SQL Server and built my combined data sources there.

After working for half a year with Tableau, I’d say one of Domo’s biggest weaknesses is the inability to display multiple charts simultaneously. Their mapping capabilities are also very unsophisticated.

Use of Solution

I used the product for nine months, from January to September 2014, and I don't know the version number I was using.

No issues encountered.

Not really. Since everything is cloud based, we were entirely dependent on their servers and I learned not to try to work on certain types of views in the afternoons. Their servers simply couldn’t handle it. As this dates back to last year, it may no longer be a limitation.

No issues encountered.

After initial implementation, we were entirely dependent on the quality of the CSM, and we were not fortunate in that respect.

Very mixed. Our initial implementation manager was absolutely first class in every way, but once we were up and running and were handed off from him, I found technical support very difficult to get anything out of by email or by using DomoTalk. When I had an urgent problem, I short-circuited their system and just picked up the phone. When I did that, I usually managed to get hold of a real person quickly and they tended to be pretty good. I also stayed in touch with our initial implementation manager to some extent.

I’d say that – at least as of late last year – Domo were way under-resourced but the resources they had tended to be at least good, ranging to excellent.

This was our first foray into BI tools.

We were vastly over-sold. Domo was sold as an easy-to-implement-yourself product, but this is completely unrealistic.To be fair, I know that their approach has changed since then, and they now recognize the need for a proper implementation resource, whether internal or external.

Implementation Team

I did it in-house with support from their implementation manager.

Other Solutions Considered

Not enough comparative experience to judge it against the competition. In the initial discovery, I researched three products, Domo, Birst and one other – I can’t even remember the name. Domo was quite well presented and seemed capable of doing the job. As a user I was pretty happy with its capabilities.

Other Advice

Expect to invest in a proper implementation.