Domo Review

Custom connectors provide a lot of flexibility in bringing in data from different sources

What is our primary use case?

I've used it as a platform to bring data together and pull insights out of it. I tried to connect different sources and match them. I'd utilize Google Analytics with data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be able to see how email activity in campaigns was impacting user activity on the sites.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us an opportunity to get a closer look at how our campaigns were performing outside of just the email itself and the landing page, to get an insight into how people were interacting with our sites. We were able to look at how successful campaigns were in converting leads.

We did a few studies where we looked into customers' data, connecting it from all different points, whether it was phone calls or the like. We were able to match it up with what it was that was causing that customer's activity to rise or drop.

It has a really easy platform to create user-friendly data models. It allowed us to click into the data, which was nice. Even though we could step back and see the bigger picture, we could also get into the details. At one point we were merging zip code to zip code data, so we could actually go all the way down to the zip code level and see how well a campaign was performing in a given area.

It definitely gave us the opportunity to figure out where there's room for us to grow or where there was room for our clients to grow. Getting down into that zip code level, we could do a comparison between different markets and say there were a lot of customers in a given demographic whom we could target.

It also let us know which of our campaigns was more successful compared to others.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create custom connectors was useful because you never know, with customers, what platform they want to utilize or what data they have. It gave us a lot of flexibility in being able to bring data in from different places.

Workbench works well and it uses local files. I had to set up Workbench integrations and it made things so much easier. There was never a point that it was down - and it would be really easy to spot the problem, generally user issues, if there was anything wrong. It was especially helpful during migration when we were trying to get everything into Domo. It can handle a lot.

What needs improvement?

They do have a feedback feature which is really nice, but it can take a long time to get any responses on that.

It is very difficult too, if we do have specific requests or errors that we can't get figure out - especially when it comes to the development platform, developing custom connectors or doing any kind of API work, custom cards - in that there's a lag in the response time. They do eventually respond, instead of issues getting lost, and they do make those improvements. If they are small improvements they do it rather quickly. If they need a developer then it's slow.

Sometimes it takes data a long time to run, especially when you're connecting data and running SQL queries. Sometimes an error is not caught right off the bat and you have to wait a couple of hours for it to run and then you can catch the error. That part could do with some improvement.

There is coding that you can manipulate data with on the actual card in Beast Mode and that part can get a little messy. It's not something where, if five people are working on one dashboard, each person can go in and edit and make alterations. It's not very collaborative, but it does work and it does wonders when you need to work with very specific data.

It's pretty stable. There hasn't been any downtime that we've ever experienced, any issues that required us to reset or that made us lose data.

Scalability is pretty good. I didn't have any issues with it. I was able to do a wide range of things. There's a lot of room for growth and the ability to grow on the platform.

Technical support was great. You gave them a call, they put in a ticket.

If it was something that required a little bit more technical work then it was a lot slower. And their updates could be a little lacking. There's definitely room to grow in their responsiveness. But other than that, with small editing, small issues that didn't require too much technical work on the backend, they were very good and very responsive.

My previous company was looking to grow in business intelligence and Domo was the best option among all of them. But I wasn't there when they made those decisions.

ROI can definitely come from the predictive analysis aspect. You can take any sort of data from any platform and put it into Domo and automate it so you're not wasting time. If you have a monthly analysis or monthly reports, you can automate all of that with this platform, making those processes a lot faster and much more efficient. It also leaves little room for user error that could normally happen in Excel or the like.

It is also good if you're using it internally, especially if you work with billing, to help navigate your resources or to figure out where you can best utilize your employees, etc.

It is on the pricier end.

What other advice do I have?

One thing from my experience that we could have improved was that we had a limited number of technical people on it. You definitely need to be savvy with a lot of heavy SQL as well as API integrations. if you're trying to utilize it the most, the best thing to do is utilize their development platform. They have a developers page that really does wonders and takes it to the next step. If you're investing in it, then invest in being able to utilize that.

They also have a webpage where they show a lot of examples with different data models, showing you how to utilize tools to the best of their capabilities. That is really great as well.

The UI is definitely easy to pick up. If you do have a little bit of SQL experience, it's easier to use, rather than trying your own merge capability. It has its own user interface where you can do what you would initially do with queries or Redshift. That part is pretty good. But I prefer to use Domo's SQL and Redshift capabilities that require a little bit of coding, compared to what it has in its user interface, which allows similar processes.

That being said, everything else has been really easy and very self-explanatory. They do have good documentation and they have user groups and discussion boards that provide a lot of answers to your questions.

I definitely see use of the solution growing. There's so much more that it can be used for. There's a lot of predictive analysis that it can go into, and a lot of connectors that it can work with that allow you to use more and more functionalities and help with that whole predictive analysis aspect. In my previous organization, when I was there, they were growing the team to focus on what they could do with Domo.

Overall, Domo really transformed how we worked with data. Things that would normally take three or four weeks could be set up to take a day or two, if not less. The fact that it was able to take a whole workload off and provide a lot of analysis and even further insight, in that shorter amount of time, was great.