Domo Review

Enables us to connect with MySQL, with the database of our CRM to create reports

What is our primary use case?

Our business deals with B-to-B and B-to-C customers. Our main objective is to present an analysis of our business. From our databases we generate a report and we showcase it to our upper management team, showing them the exact analysis that has been done.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, in terms of analytics and data, it was slow going. We used to manually create the reports. We didn't have any interface or way of presenting any data to the CEO or CIO of our organization. We used to pull out reports by creating them in Excel. Domo has helped us directly present data to the upper management team. We have created particular dashboards on Domo and given direct access to upper management so that they can have a look and strategize for the future. We created the dashboard once to meet the requirements. Now, automatically, as the values of the data change, the job is done. They are able to understand the current status of the business.

On a daily basis, it is saving us four hours per day. We used to spend four hours extracting the data for a report.

What is most valuable?

We've worked with all the features of Domo. Among the most important are Pivot and Sumo Cards. We can use drill-down from the top-most level with a click, generating charts.

Apart from that, we are able to connect with MySQL; directly with the database of the internal CRM to fetch data and create reports and present it.

The user interface is quite good.

What needs improvement?

It's quite slow. We have about 2,000,000 rows of data. Creating certain reports takes almost a couple of minutes, which should not be the case.

One of the things Domo can work on is the filters it provides. I have created many dashboards and the filters are not that user-friendly. If we have two dates, we are not able to filter it on both, it allows only one date, which is not a nice thing. If they could improve on that, it would be great.

Finally, I would like to publish a dashboard for the employees so that they can also see the performance of our organization. But that is not a feature in Domo, although it's something that Zoho provided. I would request that Domo enable us to share a particular dashboard with the employees, providing the filters with that. Domo doesn't provide anything like that. This is one of the features we want. We are not able to share our data with the employees. We don't want to share all the data. Our objective is to enable an individual to look after his performance in the organization. We are not able to do that. That's why we are stuck with only a few people using it in the upper management team of our organization.

We haven't had any downtime or crashes, it's running absolutely fine.

The performance should be improved in terms of data fetching from the external application. When you connect it with the database it takes some time to extract the data.

We haven't had to contact technical support. We did communicate with the salespeople. They replied whenever they received our messages.

We were using Zoho. My boss said to me, "We need something that we can use to present our data." We started looking for a tool that would help us. We came up with Domo and directly started the implementation.

The setup was straightforward, easy. You have to directly connect it with the database. We have a database for our internal application and integrated directly with that database and it was good to go. That process took one to two hours.

We started by creating one report, then another report. The initial R&D I did on Domo took me between ten and 15 days, and then I moved on to creation of the reports. After that, I was able to create the dashboards in a month.

I was the only one who developed the entire dashboard in our organization. I am the entire owner of Domo.

We did not use a consultant.

Over the last year we have saved about half of the amount of the subscription. It has reduced our costs more than we expected. It has saved us manpower, money, and made things more efficient. It doesn't require ten people working on it, one person can develop and that's why I am here, to run this entire project.

Pricing was a huge factor. Domo is slightly costly but it's much cheaper than some. If possible, when we renew our subscription we will be requesting a price cut. We can get the same features from competitors. We may have to look for a new subscription.

Zoho has created very advanced analytics but Domo is far better than Zoho. We looked at Cluvio and Grow. We went with Domo because it is easy to use and easy to understand.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use. There's no need for Google or videos to learn something. You can just explore it and do whatever you want and it's very easy to understand with a good interface.

We have kept the number of users to not more than 15. We have kept it confidential and not made it available to the employees.

We are planning to increase usage of Domo. We had a lot of negotiations with the team that was helpful regarding the sharing of a particular dashboard with other people. We have a one-user subscription and we want to share this with another one so that they can at least have a look at the performance in the organization. We are planning to share Domo with the employees. We have between 300 and 500 employees. Our target is that by the next financial year we will deploy this product throughout the organization.