Domo Review

Real-time data means our business decisions are made more efficiently and more accurately

What is our primary use case?

We wanted to bring our data reporting from several different marketing vendors into one avenue, along with onsite company data, to create one customer-facing dashboard. It all falls under that, when it comes to the day-to-day reporting that I've been doing. It includes anything that we did on Excel and could convert over to a dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

I was doing data transformation manually, on my own, for my reports. We were very Excel-based and updating formulas constantly. It helped by only having to build it and set it once. It has helped with productivity and efficiency. I would estimate it's saving me 10 to 15 hours a week.

It's also helped with pushing and sharing information among the team members, physically in the office and outside of the office, across the country. We're getting real-time data. We can refresh reports and not have to wait however long it would have taken. That has been an improvement and results in business decisions being made more efficiently and more accurately, based on accurate information.

What is most valuable?

The data transformation, the Magic ETL; the whole data cleanup side, where you're able to bring in all of your different sources and clean them up one time and then use that same data flow multiple times over. That's a valuable set of features.

Among the recent changes they've made, the data certification feature, where the admin user can put a certified stamp on a data source so that other users can know that that is the correct and accurate data flow or data source to use, is a good feature.

Also, the data policy permissions, where an admin can decide, based on that data set, who is able to access that data set without having to pull too many strings. That is also helpful. It gives a sense of greater security in what you're sending out and that it is only getting to the people who need it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility in their pricing structure. The trend is moving from database pricing to a user-license pricing model. That would be a benefit if they wanted to reevaluate their pricing structure. But as far as the actual functionality of what it does goes, I don't really see any improvements needed.

We've been using Domo for about two years.

The stability has been good, in my experience.

The scalability is also good. I think it lends itself well to a small business and can go as big as you want to go. There's scalability to connect to all of their applications and connectors. There is the ability to create custom API connections. The amount of data that can be pulled in is really unlimited. It lends itself well to the big guy and the little guy.

We're working on plans to increase our usage of Domo. As a company, we also have Microsoft Power BI. I'm working through trying to accommodate the two. I lean towards Domo but others are leaning towards Power BI. It's a conversation that's being had.

Domo's tech support is very responsive, very clear, and straightforward. If I had to rank it one through 10, I'd give it a 10.

The only other solution we have had is Microsoft Power BI.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Their team was very helpful in walking us through it and training us. They were willing to come onsite to assist. But the documentation available through their website is very user-friendly, straightforward, and geared towards someone who is a business user and not necessarily an IT-type person. I'm a businessperson and I found it pretty straightforward.

Aside from some structural changes that we've had, it was about a six-month process, but it really depends on what you want to get done. It's a matter of what you consider to be "fully deployed," because I'm still doing things now, years later. So it depends on the scope of the project that you want to implement. We were doing several things at one time so it was a larger project. But if you just want to connect things from one service over to another, I don't even think you need an implementation team for that. It's something that can really be done by business users on their own.

We had a few projects on the table that we wanted to get up and running from the get-go. Because we had a couple of structural changes in our company at the time, my timeline probably isn't reflective of Domo. It definitely didn't have anything to do with them. It was more on our side, so it took a little bit longer.

From our side, it was mainly me involved, and I got some help on a few small things. But it only took me to get it done. On their side, there were four team members assisting.

I'm the only one who deals with maintaining it. The maintenance depends on how much you want to put in there. I could sit here and create new cards all day if I wanted to, but it's pretty straightforward. I set up all of the connections. The only time I have to go in there and modify something is if I think of a new way that I want to display it. It's very easy for one person to be the main admin and set up and monitor everything.

Aside from saving my own sanity, we're working on what the ROI is. I'm trying to equate a dollar amount for the ROI. I'm looking at the marketing information right now. Showing people the value of all the marketing efforts that we're putting forward will be where we see our return on investment.

We have a yearly contract and then we pay, as needed, if we need to add more seats. For about 100 users our cost is $95,800. There are additional costs if you want to have Professional Services hours. If you're going to do a data-shift or implement dashboards, you pay a one-time fee for additional hours to get you set up and running.

The main difference between Domo and Power BI is that Domo is more geared towards a business user to do all aspects of it: To make the data connections, clean up the data, and create the cards. Whereas with Power BI, you still want to have the assistance of Microsoft training and have a little bit more of an IT background to have it make sense or become second nature, without extensive training. Domo is really set up to help a business user accomplish the same goals, almost in "layman's terms," if you will.

What other advice do I have?

Go all-in with it and really let Domo take over and fill it out for you. Don't hesitate. You may think it's a challenge or it's a lot of work to get it implemented. Don't sit on it, don't hesitate. Let them do the work with their implementation services. Ultimately, if you want, they can do everything for you. Get everything upfront.

In my department, Domo is used daily. I represent a small portion of the larger company and we haven't extended outside of our department yet. We're still flushing everything through us.

I rate Domo a 10 out of 10 because of the ease of use and the way that it's geared towards users such as myself. It's not really steeped in IT lingo.

More Domo reviews from users