Dropbox Review

Dealing with permissions are an issue. ​The ability to share files across the world with business partners is valuable.

Valuable Features:

The ability to share files across the world with business partners, family and friends is the most valuable feature. I learned of Dropbox from a friend after an adventure zip lining. Ever since I had used it for personal collaboration and file sharing and pictures that we wouldn't want to post on Facebook.

Room for Improvement:

Shared folders count against your total storage space. So I have had to delete multiple libraries in order to receive a share.

Finding and sharing links to files and libraries are often a pain to find and manage.

Dealing with permissions are an issue. Sometimes we need to find a person's email address. Some people use three to four different emails. Someone added me to a library via email, but later when needing to send me an email, they couldn't find it. Dropbox would not give them my email address, the one they had to submit in the first place to add me to the list.

Shared folders from other people don't count against your total size.

Personal address book so when we add someone, they're information is saved so we can lat a later time email them or add the person to another share.

Larger storage allocations as two GB is eaten up quite fast with sharing of pictures, video and files.

Lower price range. The cost for gain is just not lined up with other business offerings.

A much easier to navigate web interface. Sharing a file should be as easy as sharing a YouTube video. Finding that link is not always so simple.

Deployment Issues:

I've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

I've had no issues with scalability, except the limited total storage space.

Other Solutions Considered:

A year or two back, we were upgrading a Customer Relations Management (CRM) database system. The database is heavily used among 8,000+ employees and was severely lagging in response times. This means longer times on phones with clients and a lower satisfaction rating with both employee and client.

So we upgraded the main database to a massive IBM K series Power running AIX. But now the SAN was the bottleneck. The 10TB Tier 1 SAN we were using just wasn't fast enough. So the database was split into archive and 4 year data. But the mix of spinning disk and SSD was just not giving us the cutting edge we needed to provide our staff with blazing fast performance and a higher degree of customer satisfaction with shorter phone time.

So we went back and threw the budget away and went with a 100% SSD solution. The storage team had never done anything like this so we had to work with them on acquisition and building. Then we ran 12 Fibre cables from the back of the IBM system to the SAN switch and to the SAN. We made it so it was exclusive to this system to remove any potential bottlenecks.

The directly attached SSD has performed amazingly since the switch and has bolstered employee productivity, report generation speeds and a slew of other tasks directly related to the CRM platform.