Drupal Review

It provides a tailored website by using the same CMS and framework.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create a complex website with a few developments is the most valuable feature, that's what got me started. Of course, a lot of other things are valuable such as the use of Symfony as a framework, the user management system, Internationalization, community and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

Creating websites with Drupal allows us to meet our customer needs. It provides a tailored website by using the same CMS and framework. In the end, our goal is to give autonomy for the contributors and to make them feel it's easy to manage their website.

What needs improvement?

The UI can, probably, be improved as well as the documentation.

For the UI, as WordPress is the biggest challenger of Drupal, we can observe some sort of lacking in that domain, even though it has been largely improved over time. Although, what we have tried to do, is always to create the best UI for contribution and most of the times, the way that the fields are displayed have so much logic behind them, that there is no need for any training. That's one of our primary goals and what satisfies me in the end, is when we deliver to the client.

As it's an open-source project, sometimes it's hard to find any documentation; although it has been improved over time as well. For instance, Symfony on which Drupal 8 is based, has very good documentation. Sometimes, you just have to read the code to understand how it works or how to use an API, which is not the best way to learn for everyone.

I have been using this solution for seven years and am still counting.

We did sometimes encounter stability issues with a few modules, but hardly ever with the core of Drupal itself.

I never thought that there was anything that we couldn't do with Drupal.

Since it's an open-source solution, I'd say that you have to get involved and be able to ask the right person.

I tried WordPress but it seems too limited for me.

The learning curve is rather complex but once you reach a certain level, then there is no limit.

Just invest in a good server, you can use Drupal for free :-)

At the time I started using Drupal, I looked into Joomla, eZ Publish and WordPress.

Due to the community and orientation of Drupal (thanks to Dries Buytaert who is the creator of Drupal), it was a more reasonable choice to make.

What other advice do I have?

Find the right project and just start using it. There is no other way than just jumping into Drupal to know how powerful it is and to learn how to use it. If you have any question, look into drupal.stackexchange.com. If you don't find the answer, just ask.

Frankly, besides WordPress, no other CMS can compete with Drupal.