Druva Phoenix Review

Fast solution that has enabled us to become 30% more productive

What is our primary use case?

We use Druva for both local backups as well as to directly backup to AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

We use four people in general for backup because the operating systems are not supported anymore. But other than that, product maintenance has dropped down. I would definitively say that we have been able to make our people more productive by at least 30%.

What is most valuable?

First of all, it's a fast product. We're directly able to do it without any restrictions. The second feature that is most important is the ability to back up to the cloud. This drove the cost down for us. So Druva Phoenix was a cost-effective option for me to use. Thirdly, this product allows me to do disaster recovery from the cloud in AWS. It was able to meet my requirements for some of the customer's disaster recovery abilities.

What needs improvement?

I’m not at the point where I can really talk about what needs improvement. Maybe after another year or so. Although, sometimes there is a restriction with the number of OS platforms that this solution supports. That can be constrained because naturally, not every solution supports older or outdated versions.

We’ve had experience with the data center for a while and we have had solutions that were able to support older versions of the operating systems that we needed. I would like for Druva to support it as well. In terms of other features I’d like to see, I’ll be able to say more in around a year after I use it a little longer.

I have been using Druva Phoenix for a couple of months now.

I think we are able to meet our requirements right now. So it's stable, and it's working well.

My impressions were, anything that has expired, or any place where the support has already been dropped by everyone else will not be supported. There's less chance that any software vendors are going to support these older systems anyway. Older operating systems are not supported but one can't really expect them to be supported. For example, Windows 2003. For whatever reason, some customers still want to run windows 2003. That becomes a challenge because everyone has stopped support it for quite some time now.

We have been in touch with technical support for Druva Phoenix to a limited extent. We are still in the earlier phase of the implementation. For the next year, we'll see how it goes.  We don't really need expensive support as such. Currently, we have not come across a technical challenge where we really needed their help. Now and then we need to do something for the first time. We definitely looked at the self-help to see how the VR in the cloud works.  What happens, what not, how to modify them, so those are the things that we took the help from in the beginning. But, once we understood it, it becomes really easy to use.

We previously used EMC. We switched to Druva Phoenix because it was cheaper.

Setup was pretty easy. I think it's simple to use. So training people is easy to do. For a full data center, it took us almost a month to implement it. The reason is because we wanted to do the replication. The initial replication takes time to do it directly to the cloud.

And with the given bandwidth we wanted to make sure that we spread out the initial backup of the system. Otherwise, for a smaller setup within a certain bandwidth, you can get things up and running very quickly.

Our team members were able to complete the setup without much help from the vendor. We just bought a few hours from the consultant if we ever got stuck with the implementation. But mostly, our team went through the technical documentation available for the product. That was decent enough for us to get the product up and running.

We evaluated multiple products and compared the feature. We compared price vs performance as well as the technical support offered. We wanted to know what it does and then make our decision based on the features we required from the products. We chose the best one that works for us which was Druva Phoenix.

What other advice do I have?

I would only add that I think it's a good product. I would suggest that if you're working with Microsoft Azure, then you cannot use this product, as of today. It's supposed to come with support for the Microsoft Azure option sometime down the line this year. But, as of today, this support is not available. So if this support becomes available this becomes an easy option to choose. I would rate this product an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)