Dundas BI Review

Produces nice visuals and allows you to build your own ETL

What is most valuable?

1. The product has very nice visuals.
  2. It allows you to build your own ETL.
  3. It allows different storage types of data cubes (on disk, cache, or in memory).
  4. Customization using JavaScript.

How has it helped my organization?

I work as freelancer for different organizations, on request. The clients choose the product and contact me afterwards, so I cannot help with an answer to this question.

What needs improvement?

For a developer, it is really annoying that the Solution Explorer is not visible unless you have something checked out. You have a home screen which shows all objects but it's difficult to identify which is which and you end up checking out the wrong object.

Another place where things can be improved is to identify what Metric Sets are used by the dashboard. You end up with auto-generated Metric Sets and there are no properties provided for them (i.e. what the base Metric Set is).

Six months, non-intensive.

I don't have enough experience to comment on this.

I don't have enough experience to comment on this.

I would give it a nine out of 10. Their support is very good and responsive.

I have worked with Dundas Dashboard. However, that is no longer supported by Dundas due to the fact that it's on Silverlight. They advise moving to DBI as it's HTML 5. Another good reason for the switch is that DD did not have its own ETL. Also visuals were improved in DBI.

My understanding is that the installation of DBI is straightforward but I don't have experience with it.

I cannot answer as I am not the one to handle this.

The customer is the one choosing the product.

What other advice do I have?

You can create very nice dashboards without JavaScript as well, but knowledge of JavaScript will boost the outcome.