DX Infrastructure Manager Review

It provides us with a single solution between Windows, AIX, Solaris, HPUX, and Linux servers, but an HTML 5 web admin solution would be essential for a lightweight web-client administration solution.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility – in the sense that it allows me to monitor our IT infrastructure and application in a very holistic manner. It checks everything, there’s a lot of probes -over 150- to handle various monitoring needs. If it's not already there, you can build a probe.

How has it helped my organization?

Single solution between Windows, AIX, Solaris, HPUX, and Linux servers, and there are many. The logmon (log monitoring) probe is especially useful, particularly because it offers such flexibility. It also allows for a number of customizations – in terms of both infrastructure and application monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Very specifically, we want HTML 5 web administration instead of Flash for UMP. HTML 5 web admin is essential for a lightweight web-client administration solution.

Additionally, an HTML 5 web-based alarm console would be a must-have feature as it would allow me to manage it from anywhere.

It still needs a lot of work. An HTML 5 web admin solution is needed badly. Also, the thick client administration tool is archaic, slow, and cumbersome.

It's been around a year since we started as a proof of concept, with implementation in March.

It's pretty stable. Haven't had any problems.

We're monitoring our entire server environment using UIM, so that’s 5000+ servers, and over 300 applications, across the world.

We couldn’t have survived without them. They’ve helped with technical problems. They don’t help with feature requests because they’re tech support; however, they've directed us to the right people. We haven't had a lot of issues though.

We were using IBM Tivoli solutions that did not meet monitoring requirements for numerous reasons, like the lack of scalability and technology.

It’s straightforward. We followed the documentation closely and that helped. Also, we had the help of CA services for implementation. The only issues we had were related to our Oracle database, but it was resolved.

We looked for two things: meeting monitoring requirements and meeting support requirements. We also looked at solutions from BMC and IBM, and although the tools are fairly similar, CA's support and partnership made a difference.

What other advice do I have?

You should nail down your requirements and understand that input from outside teams is important because your monitoring the whole environment. Also, ask CA for help as they’ve done this before.

More DX Infrastructure Manager reviews from users