DX Infrastructure Manager Review

Gives us interoperability between network and server monitoring and brings everything into one dashboard.

What is most valuable?

CA UIM gives us interoperability between network and server monitoring, as well as the ability for us to be a one-stop shop. We are able to do all the monitoring for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a managed service provider and have multiple customers under us. CA Unified Infrastructure Management allows us to use one tool so we're not looking at five or six different ones. It brings everything into one dashboard so my team can pick up their information very quickly.

What needs improvement?

Our experience has been that UIM does not do discovery well.  While discovery exists, it does not have a method for reporting out on new servers, and it cannot be used the way our new customers would like.  Discovery should be more than discovering the IP or hostname.  We would like to see a tool that can discover the device and go through an information gathering process.  What is the server, what does it do, or even what is it connected to?

As for event correlation, this is a bigger issue.  Right now, UIM does not give us any form of true correlation. Our customers do not want four alarms for every server outage. They want a single alarm that tells them if the server is down.  However, the current system will not allow us to tie a ping response alarm to an SNMP unavailable alarm. We have to do custom work to make this happen.  There is also no direct correlation to upstream devices. If we lose a database, how does it affect an application?

CA UIM is very stable. We're using an older version right now, but as we move forward, the product is getting better every year. It seems to be more stable every year when they come out with a new release.

Scalability is good. We went from about 1200 to about 5000, so we've scaled very large.

Some of our customers had previously used CA Spectrum, but we did a complete business case analysis and then talked to sales teams from the other vendors. CA was very on board with us and worked with us better than any of the others.

For us, technical support was most important in choosing a vendor; trying to determine what kind of support we were going to get and then evaluating the ability to do the monitoring as a one-stop shop.

Initial setup was a little complex, but it was straightforward enough to where we did it ourselves. We've actually done it three times since with no problems.

Some of the rule sets and some of the way we had to do things were complex though. We started off on Unix and turned out it didn't have all the features we needed, so we had to convert it to Windows.

We looked at HPE, SolarWinds Orion, as well as a couple open-source projects, like OpenNMS. But, CA had the best product. We could use a single product and not have to buy four or five different ones.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to be patient, work with CA, and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help.

More DX Infrastructure Manager reviews from users
...who compared it with Google Stackdriver
Learn what your peers think about DX Infrastructure Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.