Dynatrace Review

Valuable and powerful with very good monitoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our customers for a wide range of tasks and for application optimization and such. It can be used in a performance test environment where developers run a new release to check they're headed in the right direction. I'm a senior analyst programmer and we are resellers of Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very powerful for the end user. It's a valuable solution but because of the cost, we try to explain this to our customers that they are not only buying a monitoring tool. Dynatrace offers a really important approach because the tool is able to monitor a lot of different features.

What needs improvement?

I think that they have to make improvements to the product, particularly with regard to the infrastructure monitoring which is not yet complete. Although it's very powerful for application and end user monitoring, the infrastructure needs to be significantly stronger. Configuration is also not so simple and that could be improved.

This is an expensive solution which makes it difficult to sell to customers. Even though the features are good, the price is too high. At the moment, we are able to sell the product, but only to really big companies. It's quite difficult to sell to a mid-size company.

I've been working with this solution since 2007.

The product is stable, they generally provide an automatic update on the tool every couple of weeks although we tend to test and then do a manual upgrade. There have been a few issues but the support is really quick to solve problems.

The technical support is very good and they have a live chat. You can open the chat from the product and check any issues. They are highly skilled. Sometimes the issues are more complex but even then they deal with it professionally.

I have some experience with APM Elasticsearch. It has a module that you can activate and then make an analysis. I also know some of the other tools but they don't compete well with Dynatrace.

The initial setup has improved over the years and is now quite straightforward. There's a lot of work involved to customize the entire environment.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone looking to implement this tool needs to take a 360 degree approach. If you take that approach then everything will be easier because you can see all the stakeholders and the value that the tool can give. If you approach it from only one angle, such as from the developer or operations perspective, then it would be very difficult to get an idea of all the features that the products has. This tool is very complete, but the price can become a bottleneck for some.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.