Dynatrace logo 80x80

Dynatrace Review
Without the this tool, we would not have been aware of an issue nor been able to prove the issue to our service provider.

Valuable Features:

The most important features are the ability to see trends in performance and also to aid in diagnose any performance degradation in the web applications and utilize the tool to provide a faster solution and faster root cause analysis to the problem.

Improvements to My Organization:

While monitoring our site, I noticed over a period of time that our west coast users would see degraded service every night around 10pm. Ultimately, I was able to use the tool to prove to our CDN provider that they had an issue with their routers in the west coast that had to be corrected to solve our performance issues. Without the Compuware tool, we would not have been aware of the issue nor been able to prove the issue to our service provider.

Room for Improvement:

One are that I could see improvement is a better data collection and management. At times I saw that there was a ton of data available, but that also meant a ton of data to cipher through and analyze to evaluate. I often had to utilize Compuware engineers that specialize in data analysis to help gather and diagnose the data that we collected.

Use of Solution:

I've used their products for four years.

Stability Issues:

I don't recall ever having issues with stability. It is a very stable SaaS solution.

Scalability Issues:

I've never had any issues with scalability, but scalability comes with a cost directly associated to how much you scale out your solution.

At times customer service could be really good, but most of the times I thought that this is a huge area where a lot of improvement could be made. They offer a great way to open service tickets online, but if you want to call in and get a live person to diagnose issues it is very hit and miss.

It's the same as customer service.

Previous Solutions:

I did not use a different solution, but most companies I have worked at have instituted a number of different monitoring solutions and so there isn't a one size fits all solution for all monitoring and reporting needs.

Initial Setup:

Deployment was usually straightforward, but at times it could be complicated by whether or not to add additional data base servers and configuration of making sure that everything talked to each other through firewalls, etc.

Initially getting set up and configured was some what complex and took a bit of a learning curve. Once you set everything up, the software runs itself practically, but takes continual monitoring and tweaking to ensure that you are getting the most out of the product.

Implementation Team:

We utilized account managers and expertise through Compuware to aid in any questions we had regarding implementation.

ROI:

The return on investment is the cost savings in developer's time in troubleshooting, analyzing, and finding the root cause of application issues and coming to a resolution. Unfortunately the business often found it hard to equate savings to something that they couldn't see. But having a major issue right before renewal helped keep the software in the short term as there was not another solution that offered what Compuware did for root cause analysis of the web applications.

Other Solutions Considered:

The product was already in place when I started my position. I had looked at other products later and most of them were cheaper, but they lacked the full end to end solution and were not as robust.

Other Advice:

Their products are fantastic, but the issue isn't the product, but the price for the product and also getting developers and business to value the importance of the data that is collected. Some businesses run their web ecommerce around metrics gathered on performance where other companies fall behind and don't give it as high of a priority.

I would recommend that you understand the business requirements for performance, uptime, consumer experience, and what is ultimately the most important thing you want to deliver.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Dynatrace?

Our experts can help. 209,461 professionals have used our research on 5,561 solutions.