Dynatrace Review

We know that if there’s an alert, there’s a real problem, but they need to improve the browser interface.

Valuable Features

• Ability to see issues as they’re happening for our users. We can see problems from the user’s perspective.
  • The ability to set dynamic, non-static thresholds.
  • Ability to use the browser capture app allows someone non-tech savvy to get something up and running quickly.
  • Being able to test from multiple locations.

Improvements to My Organization

Within IT, we know that if there’s an alert, there’s a real problem. It’s a rallying call and people are responsive when that happens. It tends to be accurate so people are willing to respond to it.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the browser interface. I can’t get it to work visually for some of the things I want to do, and that’s frustrating.

I haven’t had issues, but one of our secondary teams say they get an alert, but when log in don’t see a problem. However, this could be their own reading of the issue. Sometimes users who don’t understand platform don’t quite understand what they’re seeing.

No issues scaling up and out.

I haven’t had to use it because there have been no problems.

I was not involved, but did a comprehensive overhaul, and it was complex. The relationship between tests you create and those that you run is hazy. It’s not very apparent and there’s a disconnect. The configuration components are unclear.

Other Advice

It loses points in value because we’re not getting our money’s worth. I think New Relic Synthetics will be significantly less. I also feel like it’s an older company and isn't as forward-leaning. For example, New Relic has more capabilities that Dynatrace doesn’t cover. Because once on New Relic, I can use other products.

I'd advise that you think about your use cases and who you’d be notifying. If you think about those two pieces, then you can determine which product to get. Look at some of the other vendors that offer synthetics and see if they might be a better fit.