What is our primary use case?
The main use of Dynatrace is development assistance through to live deployment, then proactive monitoring. Afterwards, monitoring of the infrastructure and live site.
Being able to track issues found in live back through environments is particularly useful.
How has it helped my organization?
The obvious benefits are proactive monitoring, but there were the unexpected results we gained from it that brought additional value out of the product:
- Security analysis, i.e., being able to detect when there was malicious activity on the site.
- DNS poisoning when incorrect traffic was hitting the site.
- Multiple hits to API calls when only one should happen.
- Helping to reduce license costs by reducing calls to specific services.
- Being able to ingest data from other sources and display them alongside, an example being in a third party system that does not allow monitoring, but does have an open API to pull monitoring stats from.
What is most valuable?
- Memory analysis: The ability to tune an application and stop memory leaks has been invaluable, especially in ATG where sizing is crucial.
- Dynatrace allows real-time visualisation of what is happening instead of making changes, running a command to pull stats every hour or so. This enables us to make changes in an environment and instantly see the impact.
- Some systems can run low over a period of time. It allows us to predict when the server is going to struggle and proactively stop that from happening.
What needs improvement?
This is not a simple product. You cannot fire and forget. Maybe not a specific function issue that needs resolving, but certainly an area for consideration upon adoption of the product.
Training is required for all of the people who will be using it, and this should not be overlooked. I would even recommend nominating an SME in each of the three areas covered: user behaviour analysis, development, and infrastructure/operations support.
For how long have I used the solution?
More than five years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
We have had some issues, mainly in the JS embedded in the page.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
How are customer service and technical support?
We have used them extensively. They are very eager to help.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Reviewed other products, but never switched.
How was the initial setup?
Fairly complicated, but it is an in-depth product.
What about the implementation team?
What was our ROI?
As a user, I can testify that we found an issue within the first week of ownership that has been costing us more than the entire license cost.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
Do not ignore the training!
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
Yes, AppDynamics, New Relic, and one other.