Dynatrace Review

Transformational, the speed and problem resolution capabilities make it invaluable for us

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple use cases for it. We use it for performance testing; it performs very well for that. We also use it for production monitoring. We use both AppMon and Dynatrace Managed in that situation. And it's an invaluable tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been transformational. We started out with DCRUM, it's ingrained in our business and we've got executives that look at that. Now, the same thing is happening with tools like AppMon and Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

The speed and problem resolution.

What needs improvement?

We're still on 6.5, so we've haven't upgraded completely to 7, 7.1. I think most of the things that we're looking for are already addressed in the new product.

One thing that would help would be tighter integration with DCRUM. It's somewhat difficult to drill down and see everything, but I think that's in the future versions. We just haven't seen that yet.

Three to five years.

There have been stability issues but they were not really frequent or too significant.

The system as a whole scales fairly well. It's intensive, but it's not such a big footprint that it can't be handled. I think with Managed, or the SaaS product, things become a little easier. With AppMon you need a pretty good amount of inputting of data, but I think things get easier when you move over to Managed.

Tech support is great. You're able to get through the levels pretty fast, so it has been pretty good.

We had a previous solution, but nothing that's around any more.

It's a pretty straightforward setup. Once you've got your build out, you don't have to move things around too much, it's pretty straightforward. We did it on our own and then, for our first upgrades, we had support in there.

We evaluated all the different tools, and this is the best of the best.

What other advice do I have?

With siloed monitoring, which we have used, you don't get a holistic picture of what's going on, so analysis is very intensive.

If there was just one tool, obviously there would be a lot of benefit there. We would only need to learn one thing, everybody would be looking at the same data. Everything becomes more streamlined.

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is that their product does what it says it's going to do. Gives us visibility.

If I were to advise a colleague at another company who is researching this or a similar solution, I would tell them to do their due diligence, look at the product hard, and make sure they size the product.