Dynatrace Review

Allows us to see if it is an infrastructural related issue. We are still waiting on a number of marketing promises that were made.

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for application performance management. So far, we have instrumented 19 of the 72 critical applications, and it is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

We display it on a big dashboard, allowing the teams to look at performance for each app within a group. Thus, it has a little bit of competition, if you will, such as my app is green and yours is not. Not only that, it allows us to see issues sooner rather than later and see the correlated issues. This is very important, because where I work many of the systems are integrated, or using the same underlying infrastructure. The tool allows us to see if it is an infrastructural related issue and see what is affected right away.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Ease of integration

What needs improvement?

There were a number of marketing promises that were made, which we do not see it in the tool yet.

The integration between the web monitoring of Dynatrace and OneAgent.

Still implementing.

On the technical side, it appears good. It does not always translate on the financial side.

The technical support has been fair. We have Dynatrace folks still working on the implementation stage so we have not used the full tech support. It is in-house support right now.

My complaint is the feature sets that they promised slips a lot. However, that is software development.

We have used siloed monitoring tools in the past. We have had challenges with its integration.

We did an interview of all the applications and figured out what our gaps are. We identified performance monitoring as a major gap, then we did a number of vendor evaluations and tool evaluations, and our leadership picked Dynatrace.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Make sure your leadership buy-in is in place. Ensure leadership understands that an APM solution is a fairly expensive, so they know what they are getting into. Tools come and go, but it is the vendor relationship that is important.

We compared Dynatrace to other vendors. It is cleaner and more compact with good UX/UI.

What other advice do I have?

AI's role is very important when it comes to IT's ability to scale it in the cloud and manage performance problems. AI is the next step in our digital transformation initiative. However, we need to do some simplification of the environment before we can do it.

If I had just one solution that could provide real answers, not just data, the immediate benefit would be people will be much happier. When you have a team that is looking at several hundred applications, if they have to visit eight different tools (or eight different dashboards) to get status, then it is cumbersome. Therefore, you want a centralized solution that allows you to integrate with same products, but not just the same products, any product that whether it is Dynatrace, CA, or BMC. If you are able to grab the data from the siloed solutions into a centralized repository or centralized GUI, it makes it simpler for everybody else.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: How the vendor works with us, and whether or not they are a partner or just a customer. Just trying to get more dollars out of the customer instead of working to be a partner, and both in helping to implement the tool and supporting it after the implementation.