Dynatrace Review

We can now proactively alert customers of an issue and that we are working on it

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for performance. We bought it so we could be more proactive versus reactive with our customers. We are using it for anything from database monitoring, performance monitoring, end user experience monitoring, etc.

It is performing great. No issues so far. It is fast, and there is no overhead.

We are not in the cloud yet. We are moving to the cloud. This is one of the reasons why we bought Dynatrace. We know Dynatrace is going to OneAgent with the its product. That was a big part of our decision of buying Dynatrace, so when we move to the cloud we will have something to monitor.

How has it helped my organization?

I am getting emails every day about how great this application is. We are rolling it out to a few teams. They are using it. They love it, and it is easy for them. They can just get right in, look at things, and say, "Oh yeah, there's an issue right here." I got an email today from another team saying, "Hey, this helped a customer with their slowness issue," So, it is good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being more proactive versus reactive, because before customers would call us with issues and we had no clue what they were. Now, we can call or alert them that there is an issue and we are working on it. That is the most valuable part.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see single pane monitoring.

Less than one year.

We have had no problems with stability. Though, we did have a couple issues in our production environment getting the UEM working. It would crash some of our applications. Agents were injecting the JavaScript twice so it was bringing down our apps, but we worked with support, and they fixed it pretty quickly.

It scales well. We are going to be able to use it for everything we need.

They have a very active community.

I have used CA Wiley. It was slow and cumbersome to use. It was good, but it just did not have anything like Dynatrace has.

I have been a performance engineer for about 10 years. Using Wiley, you could look into the system. I moved to this company and went to SEP Con in San Diego where I met with some of the guys from Dynatrace, then I knew the company needed this tool.

When I moved to this company, they did not have any production monitoring or QA monitoring, so that is where we have started Dynatrace. This is what we have needed.

I was involved from the PoC to the setup, then roll out. I am not an admin, but I was part of all it.

It was pretty easy. Our middleware architect, he had no problems with it. We rolled out all our environments (QA and prod) in about three months.

New Relic and AppDynamics were on our shortlist. We picked Dynatrace because of the training and ease of use.

Dynatrace has great training available. It is easy for everybody to use. Anybody can go out to YouTube, watch a video, and figure out how to use the piece that they need. All these other application monitoring tools, they are all basically the same. They are going to give you the same data and just present it a little bit differently, but Dynatrace goes above it with their training.

What other advice do I have?

If you had just one solution that could provide real answers, not just data, the immediate benefit would be time. Everybody would have more time to do something; get things done a lot faster and go out on the golf course and play golf.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: With this vendor, the most important piece was the amount of training which is available. There are so many YouTube videos. The website has so much to offer. None of the other APM tools had anything close to it, so that was our number one criteria.

1 visitor found this review helpful