Dynatrace Review

Provides the whole perspective in a single place at any given point in time

What is our primary use case?

We use it for synthetic monitoring, as well as app monitoring.

It is performing well. It gives us all the things that we are looking for from application monitoring. From an operations point of view, we do not have visibility from the core level, therefore it helps get to the correct root cause of problems fairly quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the whole perspective in a single place when trying to guide the right people to go to the right solution at any given point in time. That is the biggest benefit.

What is most valuable?

The core level view, but also it all depends upon the instrumentation. The more instrumentation, the better the view gets.

At the same time, a feature that I am really looking forward to is the OneAgent and the benefits that it will offer. Otherwise, it is pretty solid.

What needs improvement?

Definitely something to be improved is that OneAgent runs as a route, and not all applications want to run as route. Part of the problem is different technology companies will have various rules, regulations, and policies around what can run as a route. Thus, OneAgent running as a route is a security threat as far as some companies go. Especially in the payment industry, nobody wants to run as a route. Therefore, if they can avoid that and provide something as a non-route solution, that would be excellent.

There are still a lot of unknowns and a lot ahead. We also have a lot of competitors trying to actually sell in many different ways, and every company has a unique pitch when they are trying to sell their product. Good and healthy competition is the way to go, because I would still like to see more benefits from Dynatrace.

Stability is pretty good. I would definitely rate it around an eight or nine out of 10 stability-wise. It is the accuracy of the platform that really matters.

The scalability is good. I work in an environment in a complex ecosystem. It is a big piece of environment, and our hosts were able to handle it without any sort of issues that I know of. However, there could be some other unknown issues that go beyond me.

My technical team probably might have contacted the technical support for installations, setups, and so on. Personally, I have not ever contacted them.

We did use quite a bit of monitoring tools. It goes back to some other products, external products, offering their own way of monitoring. However, it is changing everywhere, the digital transformation, and not all companies are able to cope with the change. The important key thing is how well you will perform in the microservices framework.

We did use plenty of tools, a combination of many different things, not just one thing. You trust so many different products, and you cannot have good integration of all them, because none of them work together.

Dynatrace solves the integration problem, because it is developed by one single company with a good framework behind the scenes. It is laid out with all the products that it supports in a nice, tightly integrated manner. That is why we went with them.

What other advice do I have?

In the digital transformation that we are having right now, AI plays a key role. It is hard for a human being to think about all the aspects. When you have a proper AI, that is built by good engineers and a lot of resource go behind it, so I trust the AI will help. At the same time, I am also equally worried that it will make people dumb, where people who used to do things the hard way, now they get use this AI product, then slowly stop using their brains. So, we are also thinking about this.

If I had just one solution that could provide real answers, not just data, the immediate benefit would be quality and getting right into the problem. Time savings is important as there is the brand reputation on operations. So, the quicker you solve problems, the happier customers will be.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Our focus is quality and speed of delivery, going through the microservice and that sort of framework. We are looking for a solution that can give insights into both the dev and the ops side. We are looking for features for changing the environment. An APM solution that can provide good balance between dev and ops is what we are looking for.

More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.