Dynatrace Review

From a diagnosing standpoint, it has been a game changer. Before, it was just guess and check.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Dynatrace to monitor our job applications for our eCommerce platform. Generally, we are using it to diagnose user performance and our systems performance, especially for back-end functions.

How has it helped my organization?

From a diagnosing standpoint, it has been a game changer. Before, we did not have monitoring, so anytime there was an issue, it was just guess and check. You would try something, and hope it fixed it. If it did not, then we tried something else, and did it fix it? No. Then, we would be up on phone calls at eight o'clock in the morning on a Sunday trying to figure out what went wrong with our last appointment. Now, within fifteen minutes (most of the time), we can diagnose or at least know where to look, after a problem has surfaced.

What is most valuable?

It is nice to be able to deep dive and pull historical data. Sometimes, especially with our databases and stuff, we could not look at historical information for applications or issues that we have had in the middle of the night, for instance. Since putting Dynatrace in, we have been able to diagnose some of those issues in aftertime, not so much in real-time because we did not catch them. Therefore, it has been a big help to us being able to go back and check on things that happened in the past, so they do not happen again.

What needs improvement?

Some of the complexities, especially with dashboarding, could be improved. While I know what I am doing, I am trying to get the developers to create dashboards and they just will not do it. They will just ask me, "Hey, can you make this for me?" It is like, "I can show you guys how to do it," and they respond, "Nah, I don't want to learn that."

With the newer products, they have improved them. However, the dashboarding process and creating measures and metrics, it needs to be made a little bit easier and more simplified.

I do not know that I had any issues with stability. Generally, if there have been any issues with stability, it has been something on the server side, not really with the application itself. I do not think we have ever had Dynatrace crash.

We are still pretty small in this. It is largely just our eCommerce platform that we are using it on right now. We have always been constrained by licensing on that anyway. Hybris does not let you scale too much unless you want to pay a lot of money, so we have not had too much issue with scaling at all, largely because we have not been scaling it.

We have not really branched out too much into the cloud. We are just getting our toes wet, so I do not know that I have a really strong opinion on the role of AI when it comes to the IT's ability to scale in the cloud and manage performance problems. I expect that it will, as we grow, and it will continue to become more important. However, at this time, we are just not there.

I have opened a couple tickets with technical support. I can't recall any of them off the top of my head, but I do not recall there being issues with them. They got back to me pretty promptly, and I was able to get a solution for them. Then, not for frontline things, but we purchased some coaching sessions and utilized those, which were very useful.

We were not really using anything beforehand.

I was the sole person who set it up. There was complexity to AppMon and getting everything set, but more specifically getting the dashboard setup. It was reasonably complex. Some of the stuff was not super intuitive to me. Maybe I was approaching it from the wrong way, but I definitely had trouble. I especially struggled in the first couple of months trying to get everything set up the way we wanted it.

We attempted to use New Relic, but the biggest issue was implementation. People before us tried to implement it, and it was never fully setup properly. Therefore, when I took over, we just decided to move to Dynatrace and canned the whole New Relic project.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the new Dynatrace solution with it stats solution. Just the way it is implemented, they have made it a lot more user-friendly. Sometimes with AppMon, it is not so user-friendly. Otherwise, if you are choose AppMon, be prepared to sink a fair amount of time into it, because it is not something you learn overnight.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We were looking for something that could really help us deep-dive. That was the principal criteria. There were a lot of solutions, such as New Relic that we kind of looked at, but a lot of that was just surface-level. It was not giving us the full methods and full path of exactly what is going on, and that was what we were really looking for.