Dynatrace Review

The benefits we receive using this tool increase productivity, which increase revenue.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is application performance monitoring and real user experience. Our Dynatrace application monitoring has been in since 2012. It is performing extremely well. We have not had any downtime or issues with stability or scalability.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits we receive using this tool increase productivity, which increase revenue for the state.  A huge benefit of having Dynatrace AppMon in our environment is the proactive monitoring it provides.  This help us avoid unexpected outages and downtime.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to deep dive into the application code and find bottlenecks that reduce productivity for the users and downtime.  Proactive alerts are extremely beneficial and help us keep IT out IT team small.

What needs improvement?

The AppMon solution that we are using is the Dynatrace AppMon. I am currently working to upgrade it to the Dynatrace Managed solution. This is basically leaving AppMon and going to their next generation. This will streamline everything: Ease of installation, ease of use, and built its own intelligence, which I like to call self-healing.

More than five years.

Dynatrace AppMon is a tested and stable product in my environment.  The only downtime I have is planned for patching servers.

Dynatrace is highly scalable and works well in our hybrid environment.

I would give Dynatrace's technical support a 100% rating. I feel like whenever I call or send an email that I get the right person automatically. For the most difficult answers, the most I have to wait is about three days and the answers have been relevant.

We have used Wiley from CA. It did not perform the way we wanted it to, which was a driving factor for switching over to Dynatrace products.

The initial setup started a year before I joined the team. I have been involved in the upgrade processes and they were straightforward.

Our implementation was with the help of Dynatrace.  We wanted it to be fast and right the first time.  Success on both counts!

I do not have dollar figures, but if I did, the ROI would be at least 100%.

Look at the product and the product features, not the price. Too often people look at the price and turn away. Dynatrace costs a little bit more than the other products I researched, but it can do far more. Since my last review, I have stood up a competitor's product.  My Dynatrace installation is two servers plus my collectors.  The competitor's product required seven servers.  That is significant when looking at the cost.

I feel the price is good for what the product does.

I have done research on other products that are in the same market space. They cannot provide the same in-depth detail that Dynatrace does.  I have since implemented, as a proof of concept, a major competitor of Dynatrace.  The result - I will never stop using Dynatrace.

What other advice do I have?

If I had just one solution that could provide real answers, not just data, the immediate benefit for my team would be less resources needed. This would streamline and automate things.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reputation of the vendor. We go read reviews. We also check vendor references and talk to other customers to find out what their experiences have been.