Dynatrace Review

Gives us 100% visibility into the codebase; we can find problems much faster

What is our primary use case?

It is part of our performance testing, where the team can run our workloads and can see the insights, where the bottlenecks are.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a very quick turnaround, and it solved our problems. We get more insights into what our code is doing, where the bottlenecks are. The tool helps us to find the root cause much faster than other tools in the market.

Our team can find bottlenecks quickly, and work with the engineering team to fix the problems at a much faster rate. So this is the quick turnaround, and they can go to production with better quality, and make the user experience much better than what previously they were experiencing.

What is most valuable?

The PurePaths can give us more insights, where the time is spent with the whole HTTP call. And we can clearly see where the bottlenecks are.

What needs improvement?

The business use case is that most people want to see how many orders came in. I'd like to be able to get data out of JavaScript tags, and capture more data. I think that would make it much more useful, rather than using Google Analytics. Instead, have one tool to capture all the stack, that would make it easy.

More than five years.

It's pretty good. It gives us what we need. We use the on-premise, with limited licenses, and we have never had any issues so far.

We've never seen any issue with the scalability.

We have never had an issue. We're pretty technical, so we can resolve things ourselves. I think, initially, we worked with them to help set up the on-premise, but afterwards, we didn't have any issues.

My previous client, the big pain points were, we had a lot of memory issues, upgrades not responding properly, and meeting SLAs, so that's why we were evaluating different APM tools. Finally, we picked Dynatrace for our own needs, for the use case.

We were using an IBM product which was not useful. Then we evaluated the APM space in the market and chose Dynatrace.

When we compared other APM tools, Dynatrace was the only one which could give us 100% visibility into the whole codebase. That's a key for us, because we can find the problem much faster.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the role of AI, when it comes to IT's ability to scale in the cloud and manage performance problems, I haven't used the new Dynatrace tool, but as far as I know it can pinpoint the problem with AI. Based on the basin of data which they're collecting, it makes it much more that the developers can see where the problems are faster, rather than waiting for perf testing to be completed. I think it makes developers much more productive. They can see the problems right away, rather than waiting until they happen in production.

In terms of siloed monitoring tools, we used ITCAM before. We had a lot of pain points. It captured only 2% of the data, and we had to run a lot of workloads, change the config, and run the workloads. We spent a lot of time, wasting our human resources time. When we picked Dynatrace, it was a much faster turnaround.

If we had just one solution that would provide real answers, and not just data, the benefit would be - in most products, the tools are fragmented. If there were a tool which could give the full picture on the screen, the full stack, and give away the pain points, that would make it easier for any perf-engineer or developer to see easily. That's where I think Dynatrace is farther ahead in the game, in the APM space. There are other tools in the space, but I think Dynatrace is the only one that captures 100% of the data.

Also, I think they have good integration. Yesterday, here at the Perfrom 2018 conference, I saw xMatters integration where, when there's a problem, it can kick out a message to the whomever it is, with xMatters.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor include

• product
  • ease of use
  • pricing
  • features.

I give it a nine out of 10 because, as I said previously, I'm looking for more features, like getting data out of the JavaScript tags. That would make it much more usable.

But I would recommend the product.