Dynatrace Review

Pass all the connections to Smartscape and it will tell you the root cause of the problem

What is our primary use case?

We are a retail market. We wanted to understand how our business is doing, how our website is doing. This solution is one of our key parameters for determining how we are behaving on a timely basis, because every second is currency. Every second is money, so it matters.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reducing our manual efforts. Once you get the application guys to install OneAgent and it's done, there's no need for them. You can do every task. And AI, Smartscape, we're really into them. These are the things that are helping our organization the most.

In my organization, where we are using Dynatrace, three years back we were using Dynatrace AppMon in order to instrument .NET applications. It used to take time, because you had to onboard your resources from the support team, get that guy, get that instrument. It was a little bit of a pain, because you had to plan things prior and get these things started.

With this, the new Dynatrace, what's happening is we don't need to do all those things. Get that OneAgent installed and it does everything and it takes care of all the applications. It's actually simplifying my job. That's why I feel Dynatrace is great at this point of time.

What is most valuable?

Smartscape is a wonderful feature. I'm really loving it because there's no need for you to go deep into an analysis and go in to see where we are going wrong. You go to Smartscape, pass all the connections, and it will tell you the root cause.

One of the coolest features is AI. It's amazing. You don't need to create the process groups, you don't need to create any other groups. It will automatically take all of this, based on the technology, create groups. It does amazing things. My manual labor is almost reduced because of this.

What needs improvement?

With Linux or Windows, it automatically takes care of everything, so there's no need for you to do any manual config changes. But when it comes to AIX - because I implemented it two weeks back - you have to go back to kind of an AppMon approach, where you instrument agents for .NET applications. So if Dynatrace could make those changes and make it automated, that would be one of the biggest action items.

One of the features that we are lacking is on the reports side. We don't have much reporting available. And the dashboards. I checked on their blog and they said that they are working on the dashboard front where you can create the dashboards. We do have dashboards available. They said they are bringing in a lot of things there, so I'm looking forward to that, on reports.

And there's no download action for the reports, so if they could add something like that, it would add value for us. We cannot save data for more than seven to 10 days, so it would be better to add a feature for downloading. At least we could store the data and then we could compare for ourselves, where we are starting and where we are and where we are heading. I would have those metrics, that's something I'm looking for.

They do have some APIs where you can feed the data into Splunk.

Three to five years.

I really cannot say or comment on this, because it is still evolving. They are bringing in a lot of changes. Also, I'm posting a lot of questions and queries and requesting they add some of the coolest features. So, stability-wise, probably next year, or middle of this year, I can comment on this. Right now, I don't want to.

Scalability-wise, on the data side, I'm really worried because they are giving only seven days data retention. They should plan something on that, to increase the data.

Whenever I reach out to technical support, they are helping us. There's no point at which I would say they're not helping. They are very good.

The problem here is that they are evolving day to day. Some features they're saying they'll include the next week or coming up. They have planned features, and that's where we are lagging.

But whenever I reach out to the support guys, they are very good.

When it comes to support, it all matters. You have a problem with your application and you don't know how to solve it, you reach out to the support guys. And if they are responding on time, that solves your problem. If you have a problem in an important application and your support guy doesn't respond and you are losing business... that's where these guys are standing out. Their support is constant, so you can reach out to them at any time and they are there. They're just helping us in that.

I've used different monitoring tools. I don't want to name them, because it could cause a problem. We used siloed monitoring tools but we couldn't find most of the features that Dynatrace offers. That's the reason these guys are standing first in the market. Number one in the market.

We also switched because of the coolest features and support.

It's straightforward. Very simple. There is a lot of automation.

What other advice do I have?

I rate them an eight out of 10. Although they have a lot of things already available, still, there's a long way to go.

I'm always recommending Dynatrace now. We had two vendors come to us and we proposed to one the Dynatrace solution; and the other is in the pipeline, so we have to start the discussion. I'm part of a the team that works on Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solutions. We do RFPs for them, PoCs for them, so that's one of the engagements that I am involved into. So my first choice, obviously, would be Dynatrace.

More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.