Dynatrace Review

Streamlines the tracking down of the root cause of problems in production

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is, we're using AppMon as our main tool for capacity and performance, my team is in charge of all of application performance.

For us AppMon is unbeatable in the market. We have tried to find other vendor solutions because of the pricing - we're trying to save money - and we couldn't find any other tool that gives us the same amount of information in terms of performance and root cause analysis.

It performs very well if you right-size the infrastructure where you have to deploy it.

How has it helped my organization?

I won't say that it improved how our organization functions, but it has improved the time that we need to detect problems; not only before going into production, but problems in production.

Problems in production took us a long time, before, to find the real cause. With this tool, we find them in a very short time. In matter of minutes, we know what the problem is. We are in the banking industry, and in the banking industry you can't allow yourself to be offline.

For us, it improved our SLAs with the business side of our company.

What is most valuable?

The memory dumps, the tracing, and PurePath. All the tracing that you can do with the tool is, for us, our life. It's our daily job and it saves us a lot of time looking for performance issues.

What needs improvement?

Something that we have been talking about with the people, here at the Perform 2018 conference, and with the project manager is: On the one hand we have Dynatrace, on the other hand, we have AppMon. We know Dynatrace is more powerful, with a lot of functions, but there are some core functions AppMon has that Dynatrace needs. Our main use is AppMon and we have not gone to Dynatrace because we don't have those specific functions that we need.

If Dynatrace changed it and included all those functions, we would definitely go to Dynatrace, but without them, we stay with AppMon.

More than five years.

At the beginning we used a small infrastructure and we had some problems. With enough capacity it performs very well.

We feel quite comfortable with the scalability, because we have a very huge environment. We have more than 10,000 agents installed, and we have scaled from the beginning. Right now, we have bought a lot more agents because we are deploying microservices and, for us, it works.

They were helpful. They pinpointed exactly what the problem was, because for us it was a strange behavior. It was not downtime, but we lost metrics sometimes, and not always at the same time. We found that it was because the lack of capacity of the servers where we installed the server part of Dynatrace.

We did not have to wait for answers from them.

We used an in-house developed solution and we had another solution, CA Wily. We decided on Dynatrace because of the features. Dynatrace has a lot more features than what we had and at that time.

We were in CA Wily and we tried, I think, something from IBM at that time. We decided to go with Dynatrace because it was the best for us. In the nine years that we've been with Dynatrace, from time to time we research the market to find out if there's any other solution. In IT, there's always a lack of budget, you should save cost whenever possible, but in those years we haven't find another one.

What other advice do I have?

We discovered the AI capability of Dynatrace previously, and we are willing to go  there, but we haven't gone there yet. We think it's important because right now we have a team of six or seven people working with this, and the AI would allow us to use those people in other tasks, rather than looking for performance issues.

We have used some other monitoring tools in the past and still are right now. We have a lot of them, to give what Dynatrace provides in just one app. That's a challenge because our organization is big. A problem of being big is that deploying a lot of tools is very difficult and it's not the same as deploying only one tool. Deploying only one tool is easier than deploying more than one and keeping up to date with the new versions. With several tools, it's very difficult. For us, that's a key factor of Dynatrace, not only the AppMon but the whole suite gives us a lot of information that, if you want to have it without Dynatrace, you would have to have a lot of tools installed.

The immediate benefit of one solution that would not only give data but real answers, would be time savings.

Our most important criteria for working with a vendor are that they meet our technical requirements and give us support; and support in Spain, and in Spanish, that is very important for us. We like to work with companies that understand us and work with us, who will be partners.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10 because, as I said, there is no other like this right now. Probably, there are some things that other tools could do, but not everything together.