Dynatrace Review

The drill-down to code level helps us get to the root cause of problems more quickly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for DevOps. As far as that's concerned, it's been a great tool for finding where transactions are slow, at the development stage.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefits have been getting to root cause on certain issues, being able to deploy applications faster because of the way that you can troubleshoot those issues. So delivering products to our business and driving revenue have improved.

What is most valuable?

The fact that you can drill down to the code level and get a breadth of information. We do use it for a little bit of troubleshooting in production so that's been a great feature.

What needs improvement?

I think they've already touched on it at this Performance 2018 conference: enterprise monitoring in a single solution for all of your monitoring needs, whether it's infrastructure, application; having that whole holistic view. Having something high level, in terms of dashboards implemented to provide executives with answers. I think that's the direction it seems that they're going and that's the direction that, hopefully, they'll continue in.

It's very stable. It's very powerful but it's extremely stable. We hardly have any issues from a stability standpoint. Our main problems have been that it has a high learning curve to it. I've used it for about three years now and I'm still learning it. But I feel it's pretty stable.

It's easy to scale. It's costly, but it's easy to scale up. I haven't seen any issues in terms of increasing our user base or the number of the agents that we have deployed, so I think it's pretty easy in that respect.

I submit a ticket once every week or every two weeks. They always have been pretty comprehensive in their responses. They're also quick when it comes to responding to our tickets.

I think they may have been using ManageEngine Applications Manager monitoring. It's not quite as in depth as the level of information that Dynatrace can provide. It provides some pretty basic application-health type monitoring but not to the code level that Dynatrace provides. So I think that was the solution. We still use application monitoring since it's relatively cheaper than Dynatrace. So we use it for application teams that may not want to spend the money on a Dynatrace license.

I was not involved in the initial setup. But I can imagine it was complex due to the high learning curve. There was also some complexity in the adoption rate of it because of how costly the licensing is. So getting application teams to spend the money to use it, I think was one of the biggest hurdles.

What other advice do I have?

Given the nature of digital complexity, the role of AI when it comes to IT's ability to scale it in the Cloud and manage performance problems is very important because our brain, humans, are only able to compute so many things. AI can take a whole bunch of data and turn that into something that we can create more data out of. We can have several million lines of code and AI can detect if there's anything wrong, without us having to look at it manually.

Regarding siloed monitoring tools, we use infrastructure monitoring tools and application-specific monitoring tools. Getting them in to a single dashboard has been a challenge, because our executives don't want to log in to different tools to view our enterprise, they want to see it in one page. So that's been a problem with those siloed tools.

If there was one solution that provided real answers as opposed to just data, it would help executives who just want one view and just a single page of answers for problems. So that would benefit us greatly.

I would rate it about an eight out of 10. For me, personally, I mentioned it before, it has a high learning curve. They probably did provide a comprehensive training when they first rolled it out, before my time with the tool, so I didn't get a chance to take advantage of that. There are some videos and there is some documentation out there, but it still requires you to delve into the tool to learn it. Because applications are very complex and very different, creating a training video to set up some basic monitoring would probably be a little hard. But a little bit more comprehensive self-paced training would help.

I would suggest you evaluate what you want out of it. It has a load of information and if that's what you want, if you're looking at it from a DevOps standpoint, then Dynatrace is a great tool for DevOps. But if you're looking at it from merely a monitoring standpoint, it might be too much of a tool for that purpose.