Eaton PredictPulse Review

With the remote monitoring, I don't have to physically look at the piece of equipment; I can do it from my phone

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide uninterrupted power to security systems, gaming systems, and surveillance systems on a gaming floor at a casino.

How has it helped my organization?

On our casino floor, in a power outage, hundreds of games could go down and would need to be manually brought back up. Even though we can run off generator power, we need that bridge to get us there and it's been doing it since. It has been taking care of it.

We use Eaton's remote monitoring and it's pretty comprehensive if there's any kind of issue. It's measuring and monitoring things. The remote monitoring makes my job easier and makes me more productive. With the remote monitoring, we don't have to physically look at the piece of equipment. I could be offsite. I could be anywhere and I can see how it's operating or any issues it could be having. I can do that from my phone.

What is most valuable?

Many of its features are valuable, but the ability to be notified in real-time is the most valuable aspect. I can be at home, it could be the middle of the night. We have it set up so that it sends emails to people if it engaged. If the power has gone out or something has gone wrong, we're notified immediately. There are three of us who receive those alerts, in the roles of director of facilities and facility managers.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of is the remote monitoring. When it's communicating something, if there's an event or there's an issue, the dashboard and how it's presented could be improved. I know what it's communicating, but if we had someone at a different level monitoring it, they might not understand if it's a critical item. The remote monitoring dashboard could be simplified.

I have been using Eaton PredictPulse for about 10 months.

It's stable, absolutely. We haven't had any issues.

It's expandable. Whether we have the space to expand it is another story.

We're not maintaining it internally. If there's any maintenance or repair work to be done, that would be done by Eaton. Other than checking it and making sure it's running, we're not maintaining it internally.

We haven't had to use Eaton's helpdesk or field service so far.

If I recall correctly we had an Emerson unit previously.

We had a room we had to fit the solution in. That's how we came to the system, so it would fit in the room that we had for it. Compared to the old system we had, it has a larger footprint, but the old one did not take care of as much as the new system does. The power density is greater than what we were dealing with before.

If we would have upgraded the old system, the footprint from adding on to that old system wouldn't have fit in the space that we had available.

We had a greater comfort level with the Eaton products. In part that was because of how it fit in the space we were dealing with; we were constrained. In addition, there are no issues with hotspots. Beyond that, we also use a lot of Eaton equipment throughout our property. Keeping in line with that was definitely a positive.

The initial setup was a complex project, but the install was pretty straightforward. It was handled well. An electrician was used as part of the install and there were people from Eaton here. It was a positive experience. They were fine.

The deployment took a few days. Once they had the equipment in there it was a few days until they had it up and running.

We were converting how the power is distributed to all parts of our building. We had to take down the old UPS system and bring up the new one to supply areas of our property, in sections. We would do it overnight to lessen the impact on our guests and team members.

The cost associated with having to bring our gaming equipment up manually anytime there's a power outage, surge, or sag in the area is where we see ROI. I couldn't really put a value on that. It provides us with uninterrupted service for all our other systems.

We priced out the entire project with multiple options and the Eaton equipment was right in line with our budget. I'm not aware of any costs in addition to initial fees.

What other advice do I have?

It saves us time and it saves us money. If the equipment that it protects is valuable to your business, it will keep it operating.

It was the right system to go with. We're close to a year in, and there have been zero issues. In the preceding couple of years we had so many issues with the old system; it was undersized and it wasn't really protecting everything that the current one is. It has given us that reliability. We were able to make the system larger and cover more equipment. It's hard to compare apples to apples because we weren't covering the same things, but it makes all the difference in the world, if you're going to use a product like this, to make sure it's covering all of your important, the critical items.

We're using other Eaton solutions in our environment and they're reliable. We've had power issues here and the Eaton equipment holds up. Eaton covers it all. There are things that they provide that we don't have here on our property, but what they have is pretty comprehensive.

More Eaton PredictPulse reviews from users