Eaton PredictPulse Review

Saves us time and helps us know that our medical hardware is up and running

What is our primary use case?

I've only really used it for sending out a report whenever there's an outage. Occasionally I might run a report for the health of it, and that's about it. The real use of it would be for our radiology department, since they were the ones who purchased the UPS itself. We just helped set up the notifications, if there is an outage, and anything that deals with the reports for it.

The Eaton equipment we have is mostly the UPS, which is directly for our CT machine. It's the only thing that's hooked up to that UPS.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have any examples of how it might have changed the function of our radiology department. But if we've ever had an outage or anything happened with our CT, it's made it quicker when contacting our third-party vendor that supports the CTs. That has been faster, but I've had fairly limited experience because it's the first one I've ever really dealt with. But Eaton themselves have been very reliable. I haven't had any issues with them.

PredictPulse's 24/7 remote monitoring has helped to alleviate stress. Whenever we've had downtime for the hospital itself, we've been able to run reports and send them. Because I have email on my phone, I get the reports there and I can send them to the chief of nursing for the hospital or to the CEO. And they can see if at least the CT is doing okay, and that there's no damage to the CT unit. That has been a relief. Management has been happy with having that kind of knowledge.

PredictPulse has saved us money by the CT unit being up and accessible for ER and for med/surge. Even if we've had an outage, they have at least been able to continue to run CTs. The downtime doesn't usually last more than a day or two, at most. If we were to run eight or nine CTs in a day at $800 per CT, those are the kinds of savings we're talking about for a given incident. We've had three or four such incidents in a year.

It has also definitely saved time, helping us know that things are up and running and that there is no issue with the CT itself.

We haven't received any alarm notification calls from Eaton as a result of using PredictPulse. They did reach out to us once, but that was only because I had not properly set up the report portion of PredictPulse and the reports were not going out to everybody. That was just user error on my part. But they did proactively reach out to me to correct that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to run reports on it. We get a monthly report on outages and usage and we can see how often we've had downtime, if we've had downtime.

What needs improvement?

It's been working very well. The only issue I've ever had with it was when we did the initial setup. We had issues getting it to bypass through the firewall. Their support staff were very helpful and we were able to get that taken care of pretty quickly, within a day or two.

We've had Eaton PredictPulse for about a year.

The reliability of the UPS has been pretty good. While we have had ups and downs with power supply in the area, in general—we have had some strong winds that knocked out cable lines—we've never had any issues with the CT scanner being out or being unable to be used. We haven't had any issues with the Eaton equipment. I have no complaints whatsoever.

We only have one Eaton UPS in our entire environment at this time. That might change. We have a nuclear radiology machine, but, at this time, for budget reasons, we only have the one.

Outside of nuclear med, we don't have very many heavy duty machines in our location.

It's being utilized on a once-a-month timeframe to check on the overall health of it. Other than that, it's just the messaging whenever there's an outage going on. It's used systematically, but on occasion.

My experience with their technical support has been very good. They're responsive and knowledgeable.

We did not have a previous analytics solution.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward, once we got the white paper. I provided that to our firewall engineer. As soon as they had that part, it helped immensely in getting the reports sent out. At that point we fixed how the reports were set up because I did not set that up correctly.

It took about four days, but it wasn't four days of trying real hard. It was something on my plate that needed to get done and I worked on it for about two hours a day over those four days. And that included getting people on my side to get it allowed through.

In addition to me, the firewall person and a networking person were involved to make sure that we had the right VLAN set up for it. At this point, it only requires me for maintenance. There's nobody else involved in that. The radiology manager is the only other person who uses it.

We had someone from Eaton involved because I had opened up a ticket for additional support.

We have seen return on investment using PredictPulse, especially if we've been saving about $25,000 a year on downtime. That's a fairly good return on investment. That offsets the cost of PredictPulse pretty well.

It costs a bit, but it's been fairly good. I can't say I have any complaints with the pricing of it.

I've used other vendors' UPS products in other hospital areas, for quite some time. They're older ones that, as far as I know, do not have any reporting capabilities. With those, we've kept manual track of things. It's a little bit easier, obviously, if you can just run reports.

We didn't look at any other options before purchasing this solution. It was purchased directly through the radiology department. They liked the idea of being able to have those reports directly. Since they were the ones forking up the money, we went in that direction.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend Eaton if you want reliable reports and good uptime for whatever units you are going to have plugged into it. And I'd also recommend the solution because of the professionalism of their support.

What I've learned from using the solution is the reliability of it, which I've been happy with. I've also learned that I need to check out the hardware on Insight a little bit more to see if there are any issues.

More Eaton PredictPulse reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Eaton PredictPulse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.