Eaton PredictPulse Review

Quick deployment of field technicians helps us, but the reporting could be better

What is our primary use case?

• Monitoring UPSs.
  • Preventing failures.

We are using Eaton SecureConnect Installer Cloud, which is a private cloud deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

The service has definitely quickly deployed field technicians. At one of our sites, the temperature in the room was rising. Because we received a notification, we were able to get an engineer dispatched to the site to the HVAC problem. Had we not done that, we might have ended up with a UPS failure.

What is most valuable?

We have found the most valuable features to be the ones which notify us that the UPS is on battery, then notifying us that the temperature in the room is too hot.

What needs improvement?

I like visibility the service provides into our UPS equipment through its reporting, but it could be better. I would like it to be easier to set up for the specific things I'd like to monitor and how we would like to get notified. E.g., I would like to have battery run-time be more of an alert because I don't really care when the unit goes on battery, as long as it goes on battery. However, something I would care about is if the battery was down below 10 percent. That would be something which would be good to get notified on. It would also be good to have past data to be able to drill into if something had happened a week ago to do failure analysis on.

I have been using the product for six months.

The stability seems great. We have not had any problems there.

When you look at it from the perspective of a national company like ours, it would be nice to be able to start at a high level, like by region, then drill down by service area, site, and then by building. That way there is some type of hierarchy set up. Because if you're monitoring all the UPSs, and there are 2000 UPSs in a company, that view could probably be a little better.

We have it at three sites. If we do decide to go with this product, then our goal is to get the network cards installed and get the UPSs on the network, then work with Eaton to get them connected.

There are three of us actively working on the solution. We're a part of a national facilities operations team. We're just focused on doing process improvement with UPSs right now.

I would recommend working with the same people that I have been working with.

It is the first pilot at Kaiser to have a monitoring system.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward once they get you set up. It's a little complex to get additional people setup. I have to go through Eaton to get it setup. Letting me manage users and access would be helpful.

The deployment was super fast. The long part was us getting our network card installed and getting it on the network.

We used Eaton's consultants for the deployment. They were wonderful and very responsive. They not only answer my questions, but improve on them. They are great and very honest. If the product doesn't do something today, they tell me. If it's coming out in the next release, they say it's coming out in the next release. Or, if it's not even in the pipeline, they let me know and say that they will take the feedback.

They have come to visit in person or we have spoken on the phone. Anything that we've needed, they have been helpful. They also helped push me information because this is one one-hundredth of the things that I'm working on. It's very nice to have them keep on top of me and keep things going. So, they have been terrific.

We use service vendors for deployment and maintenance. We have two separate service vendors who can assist if something was needed. They can go out to the site, if needed. We would dispatch them.

Right now, we are not paying anything for it, so the return on investment is great.

If you have a UPS failure, that will be very costly for many reasons. There has definitely been a return there. In the one example where the room got hot, we have no idea how much that would've cost if there had been a failure, but it would have been something that would have cost something. That alone has been a return on the investment.

We are not using Eaton's UPS service plans.

Eaton was only one who offered to let us try it out for free.

We are looking at other options still. We are still looking at Schneider's UPS monitoring solution. We have looked at quite a few others, but none of the others would meet our requirements. So far, we are only looking at these two.

What other advice do I have?

PredictPulse has helped me better define our requirements.

One of the pros of PredictPulse is the majority of our UPSs and the support has been phenomenal. They seem very open to work with us on improvements for future releases and to learn more about what we need as well, so that has been nice.

One of the cons of the PredictPulse is that right now we can only use it on UPSs. From what I understand, that will change in the future. The national viewpoint and data logging are the things that I brought up which could be improved.

I don't think that we use Eaton for repair of these units.