Eaton PredictPulse Review

During an unscheduled outage, support called and let me know that we were having an issue

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is notifications for all the Eaton UPS devices in our organization. This lets us know when the system is down or having other issues, as far as connectivity, input/output, battery level, and reports.

We are using the most recent version.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have knowledge of what is going on with power fluctuations. Before, when we were offsite, we wouldn't know if the system was down or if there was a power outage. Now, I get alerts.

I receive my monthly reports from it, so I haven't needed to logon directly in a very long time.

What is most valuable?

I use the feature which alerts me to power outages, whether it is going on and off the battery. E.g., this feature came in handy last weekend when the Department of Water and Power took the power down. They said that it was for 12 hours, but it ended up being 14 hours. I could manage the readings on the batteries, ensure they weren't draining, and everything was okay. They made it through the whole outage.

What needs improvement?

We did have an issue getting it initially connected from our system through their particular email address. It was hard because we have a security parameter. It took two or three technicians to figure out that we had to remove the monitoring in our email addresses due to firewalls. We were blocking them and they were blocking us because the message would not always translate after it was encrypted leaving from us. We had to do a bit of work in our security email system to make our UPS system and PredictPulse part talk to their collection agent. I don't know why it happened. At one point, we could see them but they weren't picking up the pulses that were required to send back to us. This took work to resolve and could be streamlined.

We have using Eaton products for three to fours years. We got the PredictPulse ( /products/eaton-predictpulse-reviews ) at the same time that we bought the UPS.

I've had absolutely no trouble. I've had no repairs on it with zero problems.

It does not require any require any maintenance from me. If there was any issue, I would contact Eaton.

We only have one UPS.

We have not thought about increasing our usage of Eaton products at this time since we are not sure if we are going to stay in our building.

Eaton's field technician came out for service. The service was great. He was very experienced. We had only had the solution for a little while, so I had a lot of questions. He answered every last one of them without a problem. The last time that he came out was two years ago.

One time, we had an unscheduled outage. Eaton support called and let me know that we were having an issue, which was pretty cool.

The service is prompt.

I haven't needed to contact Eaton's technical support because of PredictPulse.

We previously had a generator, which was insufficient.

We had a small fire in our ceiling. Then, we had to get big giant fans to keep the room cool to keep the equipment going. It was pretty messy. So, we spent a lot of money in a very short time frame.

Now, when the UPS kicks on, the generator knows. If the UPS is running longer than five minutes, the generator kicks in.

The initial setup was straightforward.

An engineer from Eaton came in and set PredictPulse up. He explained everything to us, including the requirements.

It was simple for me. He just needed to know who our electricians were. He worked with our electricians to get it set up. We didn't have any issues because we had to have the room wired for it and all the information was direct.

The service has earned its place in our life, a millions of times over. It was a lot of work to keep things going without it. E.g., we had our 14-hour outage and were just fine.

It is saving our organization around $10,000 a month.

We have bought all of the features of PredictPulse because each of them serves a different purpose for us.

We pay $4,000 for the Eaton 93PM UPS, which includes PredictPulse. It is a reasonable price.

We did evaluate other competitors, but we didn't have a lot of time. Eaton was the best because of its uptime and support.

We decided to add on PredictPulse for the notifications. However, we did not look into competitors for the services.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. PredictPulse sends out emails no matter where you are. You can keep track of the electric current going on in your system. It keeps you in the loop and knowledgeable. It will let you know when an issue has cleared. It is very much worth the expense.