Eaton UPS Review

PredictPulse reporting shows trends in improvement or where availability/performance are decreasing

What is our primary use case?

The UPSs back up our critical IT infrastructure. And PredictPulse allows us to manage and reduce downtime of the UPSs. PredictPulse monitors the UPS. It's a cloud service.

How has it helped my organization?

We had an air conditioning problem, and we had no monitoring on that equipment. The PredictPulse alerted us that the room was too hot and we were able to solve the problem before it damaged our UPS. It saved our company from having downtime. The UPS has also saved us money, although I know what those numbers would be.

What is most valuable?

The monthly reporting is one of the most valuable features. It gives us an overview of the last month of its operation and we can see trends that are showing improvements or where availability and performance are decreasing.

The visibility the PredictPulse service provides into our UPS equipment through the reporting is very good. It gives us very high visibility. We can go into the card and look at every parameter, all the settings, all the values. There are several tabs we can look at. We get a very good understanding of what the unit is doing, all remotely. It's very good.

I like the UPS touch-screen functionality as well. It's good.

In our organization, we've been using Eaton UPS products for ten to 15 years. Our new buildings get the newest 9355 UPS. We started using PredictPulse in the last year.

The stability of the UPS is very good. There have been no issues.

The scalability is comparable. You can go very small or very big, so it's very good.

Eaton's technical support is good. When we call them, they're knowledgeable. They listen to our questions, they walk us through the steps to go through the process to fix it ourselves. And if not, then they pass it on to have someone come out or to someone else to call us back.

We have different vendors for UPS. We have three or four. But Eaton is our standard, currently, because of the reliability and the reputation of the company and the product.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's very step-oriented. You just follow along; it's a simple process to follow.

Deployment of the product is typical. It's usually a six-week lead-time, which is typical of most equipment. It's not good, but it's just what is expected in the industry.

Our path is to use them in new buildings and new remodels.

We usually use our own mechanical engineer consultant. Eaton is our preferred vendor. Our engineer chooses the product based on our standards and then works with the project team from our company.

For deployment, we usually require one technician from Eaton and our own engineer.

We have seen ROI by going with Eaton, but I don't know what the numbers would be.

We evaluated Schneider and Liebert.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to have a good consultant who understands your power needs and the amount of downtime that is acceptable.

The biggest lesson we've learned from using Eaton products is their reliability. It's there when you need it.

I don't have a problem with the footprint of the UPS units. They're big, but they have a lot of stuff. They are pretty versatile. You can put them close to things. They're good.