eG Enterprise Review

It provides in-depth Citrix stack visibility.

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved logon times due to specific GPO shortcuts that were timing out.
  • Maintains overall performance, as it is now closely monitored through dashboards. IT now don't have to find the issue; they just check the eG Console and then resolve any alerts.

What is most valuable?

• Single pane of glass to review status of the full environment.
  • In-depth visibility into the Citrix stack
  • Overall end-to-end service.

What needs improvement?

Application TCP latency is an area with room for improvement, but I believe this is already on the roadmap.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is fantastic!! They are very responsive and always follow up to ensure a solution has been provided.

eG seem to take ownership of any raised issue, even if it is not on their side. They will assist and escalate internally to get the correct level of technical support for the individual call.

PRTG was offered as a managed service through a service provider; limited visibility and in some cases NO visibility for certain infrastructure servers / hypervisors.

Citrix visibility was very basic then, too (OS only). Only about 1/3rd of the company was being monitored, so when a fault did occur, we still had to try to work out where it was.

It was good to know there was a problem, but it didn't assist us in finding it! eG now does both and we cover visibility across all tiers of the infrastructure.

Initial setup was straightforward; most of the complexity was trying to get visibility of the SAN storage. It turned out the model of EMC we used didn't have built-in CLI capabilities. eG Support kindly pointed this out.

You may get some monitoring products with certain licensing you may own. Some of these can take ages to configure and setup, along with needing a license to drive the software. Once you start down this path, then other limitations of visibility can creep in that make you then look for ANOTHER product to fill the gap. Before you know it, you are managing five different monitoring products, flooding you with alarms. Think ahead and plan for a single-pane monitoring solution now.

What other advice do I have?

If you want directions and can work a compass, then buy a compass. Otherwise, get a GPS and throw away the map book!! Go eG Enterprise!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Having seen the capabilities of eG Enterprise at various clients, I consult too. We now run a separate company (eGSolutions) and are the reseller of and support eG Enterprise for NZ and Australia markets.
1 visitor found this review helpful