eG Enterprise Review
The GUI is nicer than all the other graphical interfaces out there, however it is not easy to configure

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to stabilize our backend and middle systems. They had a lot of the predefined things already configured out-of-the-box, so all we did was just enable them and we started using them. It helped us identify a lot of issues.

What is most valuable?

The visibility across the entire Citrix environment. It is important is because to identify issues which users are experiencing and resolve them before those users are impacted.

The GUI is nicer than all the other graphical interfaces out there.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to configure. It is user-friendly to be used, but to have it configured, you need their help. I can't do it. I can manage it. I know what to do with it, because I am already in there. However, a person who occasionally uses it, I don't think he could use it the same way.

It is user-friendly in two ways. There is user-friendly that uses it, then there is the configuration portion of the application. Sometimes we get an alert, but we do not need these alerts. So you need to go in the environment, and configure the application and tell it to ignore those alerts. That portion is not easy to do.

Back-end configuration is not easy to implement.

Less than one year.

It is a stable. Our database team initially complained that it was occasionally opening too many connections, but I think they eventually solved it.

It can handle a growing amount of work.

I did want to integrate this into our footprint and it resulted in our help desk requesting tickets. I have been told that it works, but it does not. We tried making it work and it does not work.

Many times, I hear that they are their own engineer or their own tech person saying, "Oh, he should not have done that." About another engineer. Obviously, there is more than one way to do things. Then, there were a few occasions that they undid what the previous engineer did.

A few times, it's about finding the right person who knows the answer.

I would rate them as a six out of 10.

We have another product that we use, SolarWinds. However, Citrix is a the main product that we use, so we needed more visibility into a more direct monitoring solution for it. Just to let you know, eG Enterprise is just for monitoring the Citrix environment. We needed a more advanced level of monitoring of Citrix.

They say it takes 40 hours to set it up. It does not take 40 hours. It takes a lot longer to have it set up and running. I would say it takes three times as much to implement this. To get everything set up. My advice is to allow more time.

They gave us a good price, when they were found out we were looking at other products because their price was very high. We were looking at another solution, then we came back to them was because they brought the price down. We selected them for three years.

I evaluated other products as well. Initially, I looked at SolarWinds and Goliath.

What other advice do I have?

I would not buy this product again knowing what I know now. It takes too much time and it is still not where it used to be. It does not have advanced monitoring, but the graphical interface is very nice. We are not a very large environment, and we spent a good amount of money on this, and it did not provide the value that I thought. It does a lot of basic stuff, which it has not been helpful to us. Also, their product requires a lot of attention.

Two things were hindrances in getting this product implemented right away:

• The complicated back-end
  • The tech support not understanding customer questions.