ELK Elasticsearch Review

Easy to set up with good text indexing and logging features, but it needs to be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for text indexing and aggregating logs from different microservices.

What is most valuable?

-Scalability and resiliency

-Clustering and high availability

-Automatic node recovery

What needs improvement?

Kibana should be more friendly, especially when building dashboards.

Stability needs improvement.

I would like to see the Kibana operating more smoothly, as Grafana does. Also, I would like to see some improvements with the machine learning capability, so that we can rely on it more. It's in the early phases but this would be a great way to start using it.

When it comes to aggregation and calculations, I would like to have to have advanced options in the dashboards to be used in a simplified way, such as building formulas and queries between different fields and indexes.

Alerting feature should be more flexible with advanced options.

I have been using Elasticsearch for approximately five years.

This solution is stable, but at times the stack will freeze and you have to remove and recreate the cluster. It may be an issue related to AWS.

We have not had any issues with the scalability.

We have not had any issues with technical support.

Datadog, it's expensive when it comes for a big infrastructure and cannot be self hosted when it comes to specific sensitive cases.

The initial setup was fast. We have the provisioning, which made it fast and easy.

It can be expensive. When managed by AWS you have different options and features that are locked and not available to you on the Kibana and security levels.

You cannot use the full X-Pack feature set when you go through AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We have some devices that are managed by AWS and we have our own information with switches that are self-hosted.

ELK Elasticsearch is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More ELK Elasticsearch reviews from users