ELK Elasticsearch Review

Has a good UI with good performance although deployment requires multiple applications

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for monitoring our logs and infrastructure. We are customers of ELK and I'm a system administrator.

What is most valuable?

A positive feature of ELK is that it directly interacts with Elasticsearch. The UI is very nice, and performance wise it's quite good too. A key feature is that this is a reasonably priced monitoring solution.

What needs improvement?

We run this solution on multiple servers. ELK has three lanes which comprise a single package made up of Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana. To my mind, this is not efficient because we have to individually deploy the different applications. In contrast, we're able to deploy Splunk with a singe application. Implementing the dashboards is also quite difficult. With Splunk and Nagios it's much easier to directly interact with Elasticsearch. I'd like to see some additional features in the front end which currently make it a bit difficult to implement and it should be simplified.

I've been using this solution for six months.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution, we have eight to 10 users. We had initially planned to expand use of ELK because of its cheap price and the services that are included, but given the difficulty with implementation we've decided to go with Nagios instead.

The technical support people are very knowledgeable but the response time is quite slow which is not very good.

The initial setup of ELK is more difficult than the setup of other monitoring applications. I was able to carry out the deployment alone.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking to implement a monitoring product with almost no cost or at a cheaper price, I would suggest the ELK stack. However, it does require a high skill set because of the difficulty with implementation.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

More ELK Elasticsearch reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk User Behavior Analytics
Learn what your peers think about ELK Elasticsearch. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.