ELK Elasticsearch Review
Allows us to store data in key value pairs and produce visualisations in Kibana, but lack of email notification is problematic

What is most valuable?

Elasticsearch helps us to store the data in key value pairs and, based on that, we can produce visualisations in Kibana. It helps us to analyse the logs based on the location, user, and other log parameters.

What needs improvement?

It needs email notification, similar to what Logentries has. Because of the notification issue, we moved to Logentries, as it provides a simple way to receive notification whenever a server encounters an error or unexpected conditions (which we have defined using RegEx).

No stability issues.

Not really any scalability issues, but we have set up a cron job to delete old logs so that we don’t hit the disk space issues. It would be helpful if such a feature were added to the UI, where old logs could be deleted automatically. (Don’t know if this feature is already there).

ELK documentation is very good, so we have never needed to contact technical support.

We used Logentries. Because of open source we moved to ELK, considering it as part of a cost-cutting strategy and evaluation. But due to the lack of a notification feature, we again moved to Logentries.

Slightly complex, especially when you are configuring a machine which is on a separate IP, rather than on a single machine. In my case, Elasticsearch, Kibana and Logstash were on different machines. Along with that, we added a proxy server (nginx) ahead of the Kibana server. We used the proxy server for user authentication so that only known users would be able to access the Kibana dashboard. ELK's free version doesn't have user authentication, and this forced us to go with this alternative. We have four machines in total.

When we were using the Amazon Elasticsearch Service we had one cluster of Elasticsearch which, by default, gave us the Kibana dashboard. We just added a proxy server for user authentication.

Graylog, Fluentd.

What other advice do I have?

I give it a seven out of 10. They don't provide user authentication and authorisation (shield) as a part of their open source version.

Nice to implement, they have nicely written documentation.