ELK Elasticsearch Review

Allows us to implement machine-learning from our logs, and alerts for anomalies

What is our primary use case?

Various purposes, mainly log analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has notably improved the way we store and use logs, from having a more user-friendly, centralized solution (for those who just needed a quick glance, without being masters of sed and awk) to implementing various mechanisms for machine-learning from our logs, and sending alerts for anomalies.

What is most valuable?

The three major features which won us over to Elasticsearch were:

• The well written documentation
  • The already available integrations with multiple other tools related to our needs (like Logstash, Kibana)
  • The easy with which scalability was achieved.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas in which Elasticsearch could improve:

By honoring Unix environmental variables and not relying only on those provided by Java (e.g. installing plugins over the Unix http proxy).

Performance improvement could come from skipping background refresh on search idle shards (which is already being addressed in the upcoming seventh version).

Until now, we have not run into any issues running Elasticsearch that were not based on bad capacity planning based by us.

Elasticsearch is a very easy to scale product, compared to other similar technologies.

To date, we haven't had the chance to use Elasticsearch's technical support.

We cannot disclose the previous solution, but we are much happier with Elasticsearch.

Our initial setup was very easy to do.

We evaluated HBase and Cassadnra.